Re: Is rootbeerkit.com a scam?

  • thefrankwmx
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
      If they are not selling a kit to make root beer, then who cares?

      Happy New Year to all!

      tf
    • Al
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
        <snip a web site pronounced my computer as having trojans and viruses on
        it.>
        > To remove them, (the viruses) the site asks me to click a button, which downloads a program called "install.exe." I have not run this program and am a bit suspicious
        Be more than a bit suspicious. And, Do not run that. delete it. bit
        bucket in the sky, etc. empty trash too.
        > Has anybody else had this experience? Is rootbeerkit.com legit or a scam? Thanks, and Happy New Year
        social engineering, phishing, whatever you want to call it, is
        widespread on the www.

        masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something that it is
        not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that - and in so doing - they
        install a virus/spyware onto their computer -- it continues to
        masquerade as a protection against virus/trojan. But, after a while --
        guess what? You'll never guess -- it wants money (your dangers have
        escalated, therefore you need me now more than ever -- your trial period
        is over - send money to thus and such place

        Only use known and trusted sources to direct yourself to where you
        procure software for yourself.

        My Linux console has whois app which can search whois database. Two
        whois search results follow.

        al@P5Q:~$ whois rootbeerkit.com

        Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
        with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
        for detailed information.

        Domain Name: ROOTBEERKIT.COM
        Registrar: REGTIME LTD.
        Whois Server: whois.regtime.net
        Referral URL: http://www.webnames.ru

        Name Server: NS1.ROOTBEERKIT.COM
        Name Server: NS2.ROOTBEERKIT.COM
        Updated Date: 26-dec-2009
        Creation Date: 24-dec-2009
        Expiration Date: 24-dec-2010

        >>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:33:30 UTC <<<

        <snip>

        Domain name: rootbeerkit.com

        Name servers:
        ns1.rootbeerkit.com
        ns2.rootbeerkit.com

        Registrar: Regtime Ltd.
        Creation date: 2009-12-24
        Expiration date: 2010-12-24

        Registrant:
        James Morgan
        Email: jamesmmorgan@...
        Address: 1613 Clair Street
        City: Killeen
        State: TX
        ZIP: 76541
        Country: US
        Phone: +1.2546165772
        Fax: +1.2546165772
        Administrative Contact:
        Anna Gregory
        Email: annafgregory@...
        Address: 3230 Hinkle Deegan Lake Road
        City: ALLEN
        State: KY
        ZIP: 41601
        Country: US
        Phone: +1.6069756207
        Fax: +1.6069756207
        Technical Contact:
        Shirley Rhodes
        Email: shirleyjrhodes@...
        Address: 1950 Holt Street
        City: Boca Raton
        State: FL
        ZIP: 33432
        Country: US
        Phone: +1.5613479912
        Fax: +1.5613479912
        Billing Contact:
        James Morgan
        Email: jamesmmorgan@...
        Address: 1613 Clair Street
        City: Killeen
        State: TX
        ZIP: 76541
        Country: US
        Phone: +1.2546165772
        Fax: +1.2546165772

        al@P5Q:~$ whois dodgit.com

        Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
        with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
        for detailed information.

        Domain Name: DODGIT.COM
        Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
        Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
        Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
        Name Server: NS12.ZONEEDIT.COM
        Name Server: NS19.ZONEEDIT.COM
        Updated Date: 25-nov-2009
        Creation Date: 24-nov-2003
        Expiration Date: 24-nov-2010

        >>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:34:01 UTC <<<

        <snip>

        Registrant:
        Domains by Proxy, Inc.
        DomainsByProxy.com
        15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
        Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
        United States

        Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
        Domain Name: DODGIT.COM
        Created on: 24-Nov-03
        Expires on: 24-Nov-10
        Last Updated on: 25-Nov-09

        Administrative Contact:
        Private, Registration DODGIT.COM@...
        Domains by Proxy, Inc.
        DomainsByProxy.com
        15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
        Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
        United States
        (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

        Technical Contact:
        Private, Registration DODGIT.COM@...
        Domains by Proxy, Inc.
        DomainsByProxy.com
        15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
        Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
        United States
        (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

        Domain servers in listed order:
        NS12.ZONEEDIT.COM
        NS19.ZONEEDIT.COM
      • Al
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
          al@P5Q:~$ whois trashymail.com

          Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
          with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
          for detailed information.

          Domain Name: TRASHYMAIL.COM
          Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
          Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
          Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
          Name Server: NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
          Name Server: NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
          Updated Date: 02-apr-2009
          Creation Date: 23-apr-2007
          Expiration Date: 23-apr-2011

          >>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:14:58 UTC <<<

          Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
          in the "registrant" field. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, Inc.
          is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

          Registrant:
          Michael Weber
          2-4-3 Minami Ogikubo
          Tokyo, Tokyo 1670052
          Japan

          Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
          Domain Name: TRASHYMAIL.COM
          Created on: 23-Apr-07
          Expires on: 23-Apr-11
          Last Updated on: 02-Apr-09

          Administrative Contact:
          Weber, Michael wwwmichi@...
          2-4-3 Minami Ogikubo
          Tokyo, Tokyo 1670052
          Japan
          5055396801 Fax --

          Technical Contact:
          Weber, Michael wwwmichi@...
          2-4-3 Minami Ogikubo
          Tokyo, Tokyo 1670052
          Japan
          5055396801 Fax --

          Domain servers in listed order:
          NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
          NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
            Al wrote:
            > masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
            > that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that

            After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
            ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
            confident. But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
            meaningless film show must be very naive, in less polite company I might
            have said something else. And running a full fledged exe from that
            provenience - I ask you.

            Axel
          • Al
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > Al wrote:
              >
              >> masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
              >> that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that
              >>

              > After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
              > ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
              > confident.
              They were likely engineered for Win XP whereby they likely do not work
              on Win 98

              I'd run them in my Linux. But, somehow, Linux isn't Win. So, somehow,
              they don't run, even if I try to run them. Is that what you call "built
              in virus protection?"

              al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
              Slackware 12.2.0
              al@P5Q:~$

              Har har <grin>. And, yes, I know "support libraries, environment, etc."
              do not at all match up (not even whatsoever) between Linux and Win.

              That's what wine is for. And also, virtual machine.
              > But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
              > meaningless film show must be very naive,
              My 87 year old father fell for it. He had upwards of 50 viruses on his
              Win XP. But I got him on Linux now. Problem solved.

              --
              Alan.

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
                Charles,

                This is very suspicious behavior. I recommend avoiding anything to do
                with this until you have done a thorough scan of your system.

                I recommend using the free version of MalwareBytes from
                http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. Do the full scan after updating
                to the latest signature file.

                I also recommend that you get up-to-date anti-virus software. A good
                free one is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is for WinXP, Vista and
                Win7.

                If the MalwareBytes does not install or finds nothing, then I would be
                very surprised.

                Google also has a safe browsing page and lists rootbeerkit.com as suspicious.

                http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=rootbeerkit.com

                HTH,

                ~ Larry