Re: [NTO] Presentation freeware

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2009
      cefwis wrote:
      > Could someone, please, recommend a freeware program that would
      allow me to create and show presentations (preferably in the .pps
      format of PowerPoint)? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

      cefwis,

      If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice will
      load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice suggesting
      you might want to save the file in .odp format but you can override it.

      I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
      copies in both formats. I not a Presentation user but I could see no
      difference in the copies after viewing both.

      ºvº SL_day# 325 - created 2009.11.21_22.03.56

      Telephone Skills; How to Hang Up.

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2009
        I do have trouble in playing power point files in OO.org software.

        hsavage wrote:
        > cefwis wrote:
        > > Could someone, please, recommend a freeware program that would
        > allow me to create and show presentations (preferably in the .pps
        > format of PowerPoint)? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
        >
        > cefwis,
        >
        > If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice will
        > load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice suggesting
        > you might want to save the file in .odp format but you can override it.
        >
        > I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
        > copies in both formats. I not a Presentation user but I could see no
        > difference in the copies after viewing both.
        >
        > ·············································
        > ºvº SL_day# 325 - created 2009.11.21_22.03.56
        >
        > Telephone Skills; How to Hang Up.
        >
        > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
        Flockmaster,

        http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

        Play AstroEmpires
        http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
          Hi Hugh,

          On 22 Nov 09 04:11 hsavage <hsavage@...> said:

          > If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice
          > will load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice
          > suggesting you might want to save the file in .odp format but you
          > can override it.
          >
          > I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
          > copies in both formats.

          Was that really .pps. I've got OOo 3.1.1 (Build 9420) and that only
          refers to .ppt

          (Haven't actualy tried it - and it's years since I played with
          PoerPoint, but isn't .pps the auto-running format, whereas .ppt
          requires a copy of PowerPoint installed? The OP was looking for .pps.)

          Greg
        • Bob Janes
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
            >> Haven't actually tried it - and it's years since I played with
            PowerPoint, but isn't .pps the auto-running format, whereas .ppt requires a
            copy of PowerPoint installed? The OP was looking for .pps.

            The actual files are identical, the suffix changes the execution action. A
            '.ppt' file opens in PowerPoint for editing; a '.pps' file opens as a slide
            presentation.

            Bob
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
              Hi Bob,

              On 22 Nov 09 11:28 "Bob Janes" <bob.janes@...>
              said:
              > The actual files are identical, the suffix changes the execution
              > action. A '.ppt' file opens in PowerPoint for editing; a '.pps' file
              > opens as a slide presentation.

              Wonderful! That means use OOo. Save the file as .ppt and then rename
              it before running it on the host computer used to make the
              presentation!

              Problem solved!

              Never know! The OP might actually learn to like OOo better than the
              prospect of upgrading MS Office2000. It's what happened to me! :-)

              Greg
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                Greg Chapman wrote:
                > Hi Hugh,
                >
                > On 22 Nov 09 04:11 hsavage <hsavage@...> said:
                >> If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice
                >> will load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice
                >> suggesting you might want to save the file in .odp format but you
                >> can override it.
                >>
                >> I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
                >> copies in both formats.
                >
                > Was that really .pps. I've got OOo 3.1.1 (Build 9420) and that only
                > refers to .ppt
                >
                > (Haven't actualy tried it - and it's years since I played with
                > PoerPoint, but isn't .pps the auto-running format, whereas .ppt
                > requires a copy of PowerPoint installed? The OP was looking for .pps.)
                >
                > Greg

                Greg,

                Yes, that's really .pps, it's sitting on my Desktop right now.

                ºvº SL_day# 326 - created 2009.11.22_09.42.34

                The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
                • -Andy Rooney

                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com