Presentation freeware

  • cefwis
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
      Could someone, please, recommend a freeware program that would allow me to create and show presentations (preferably in the .pps format of PowerPoint)? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
        Have a look at the impress module of OpenOffice 3.0
        www.openoffice.org

        Subject: [NTO] Presentation freeware
        To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 1:36 AM

        Could someone, please, recommend a freeware program that would allow me to create and show presentations (preferably in the .pps format of PowerPoint)? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
          Hi
          I think open office can make power point presentation and down load the free
          viewer
          THANKYOU DAVE

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
            cefwis wrote:
            > a freeware program that would allow me to create and show
            > presentations (preferably in the .pps format of PowerPoint)?

            LaTeX with Beamer style. Format will be PDF, not PPS.

            Axel
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
              On 21 Nov 09 00:47 fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> said:
              > Have a look at the impress module of OpenOffice 3.0
              > www.openoffice.org

              It will save .ppt and .pot.

              It also exports to .pdf and .swf amongst others

              but doesn't do .pps as far as I can see! :-(

              Greg
            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
                --- On Sat, 11/21/09, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

                > >On 21 Nov 09 00:47 fw7oaks <fw7oaks@yahoo. com> said:

                > > Have a look at the impress module of OpenOffice 3.0

                > > www.openoffice. org

                >It will save .ppt and .pot.
                >
                > It also exports to .pdf and .swf amongst others
                >
                > but doesn't do .pps as far as I can see! :-(

                True, but what's wrong with using Flash instead ?

                fw
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
                  If you can have a logo on it there is a good freeware version of ispring
                  that makes your power point into a flash presentation. I like it a lot.
                  You can use open office if you like to make the presentations I believe.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 20, 2009
                    Hi,

                    On 21 Nov 09 01:20 fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> said:
                    > www.openoffice. org
                    >
                    > > It will save .ppt and .pot.
                    > > It also exports to .pdf and .swf amongst others
                    > > but doesn't do .pps as far as I can see! :-(
                    >
                    > True, but what's wrong with using Flash instead ?

                    Nothing, as far as I'm concerned, but it's a question of what the OP
                    is happy with.

                    Greg
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 21, 2009
                      cefwis wrote:
                      > Could someone, please, recommend a freeware program that would
                      allow me to create and show presentations (preferably in the .pps
                      format of PowerPoint)? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

                      cefwis,

                      If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice will
                      load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice suggesting
                      you might want to save the file in .odp format but you can override it.

                      I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
                      copies in both formats. I not a Presentation user but I could see no
                      difference in the copies after viewing both.

                      ºvº SL_day# 325 - created 2009.11.21_22.03.56

                      Telephone Skills; How to Hang Up.

                      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 21, 2009
                        I do have trouble in playing power point files in OO.org software.

                        hsavage wrote:
                        > cefwis wrote:
                        > > Could someone, please, recommend a freeware program that would
                        > allow me to create and show presentations (preferably in the .pps
                        > format of PowerPoint)? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
                        >
                        > cefwis,
                        >
                        > If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice will
                        > load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice suggesting
                        > you might want to save the file in .odp format but you can override it.
                        >
                        > I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
                        > copies in both formats. I not a Presentation user but I could see no
                        > difference in the copies after viewing both.
                        >
                        > ·············································
                        > ºvº SL_day# 325 - created 2009.11.21_22.03.56
                        >
                        > Telephone Skills; How to Hang Up.
                        >
                        > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                        Flockmaster,

                        http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                        Play AstroEmpires
                        http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                          Hi Hugh,

                          On 22 Nov 09 04:11 hsavage <hsavage@...> said:

                          > If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice
                          > will load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice
                          > suggesting you might want to save the file in .odp format but you
                          > can override it.
                          >
                          > I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
                          > copies in both formats.

                          Was that really .pps. I've got OOo 3.1.1 (Build 9420) and that only
                          refers to .ppt

                          (Haven't actualy tried it - and it's years since I played with
                          PoerPoint, but isn't .pps the auto-running format, whereas .ppt
                          requires a copy of PowerPoint installed? The OP was looking for .pps.)

                          Greg
                        • Bob Janes
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                            >> Haven't actually tried it - and it's years since I played with
                            PowerPoint, but isn't .pps the auto-running format, whereas .ppt requires a
                            copy of PowerPoint installed? The OP was looking for .pps.

                            The actual files are identical, the suffix changes the execution action. A
                            '.ppt' file opens in PowerPoint for editing; a '.pps' file opens as a slide
                            presentation.

                            Bob
                          • Greg Chapman
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                              Hi Bob,

                              On 22 Nov 09 11:28 "Bob Janes" <bob.janes@...>
                              said:
                              > The actual files are identical, the suffix changes the execution
                              > action. A '.ppt' file opens in PowerPoint for editing; a '.pps' file
                              > opens as a slide presentation.

                              Wonderful! That means use OOo. Save the file as .ppt and then rename
                              it before running it on the host computer used to make the
                              presentation!

                              Problem solved!

                              Never know! The OP might actually learn to like OOo better than the
                              prospect of upgrading MS Office2000. It's what happened to me! :-)

                              Greg
                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                                Greg Chapman wrote:
                                > Hi Hugh,
                                >
                                > On 22 Nov 09 04:11 hsavage <hsavage@...> said:
                                >> If you haven't found a replacement for PowerPoint yet OpenOffice
                                >> will load and save .pps files. You're presented with a notice
                                >> suggesting you might want to save the file in .odp format but you
                                >> can override it.
                                >>
                                >> I received a PP Presentation via email, loaded it, saved it and had
                                >> copies in both formats.
                                >
                                > Was that really .pps. I've got OOo 3.1.1 (Build 9420) and that only
                                > refers to .ppt
                                >
                                > (Haven't actualy tried it - and it's years since I played with
                                > PoerPoint, but isn't .pps the auto-running format, whereas .ppt
                                > requires a copy of PowerPoint installed? The OP was looking for .pps.)
                                >
                                > Greg

                                Greg,

                                Yes, that's really .pps, it's sitting on my Desktop right now.

                                ºvº SL_day# 326 - created 2009.11.22_09.42.34

                                The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
                                • -Andy Rooney

                                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com