Re: [NTO] removing second OS from HD

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
      I would 1. backup the ME C partition (it is probably on C, or hda1/sda1
      if you wish), or all of the FAT 32 partitions if there are more, 2.
      delete all the Linux partitions with a stand alone partition manager
      like e.g. GParted (Linux, so freeware), and 3.with the partition manager
      resize the ME partition(s) to fill the whole drive.

      So, to answer your question exactly: there is one, easy way of getting
      rid of a Linux OS: delete the partitions.

      Cheers,
      Gerard

      edward wrote:

      > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
      > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
      > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
      > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
      > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
      > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
      > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
      > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
      > all the space on the hard drive.
      > Ed
      > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
      > necessarily decay.
      > --Albert Einstein

      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Netherlands
      inboxgen@...
    • edward
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
        I will download the GParted software and see if I can use it. I am not sure
        I know how to use a partion manager. But with the C:\ backed up I should be
        able to re install it. Thanks
        Ed

        edward wrote:

        > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
        > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
        > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
        > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
        > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
        > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
        > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
        > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
        > all the space on the hard drive.
        > Ed
        > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
        > necessarily decay.
        > --Albert Einstein

        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Netherlands
        inboxgen@...

      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
          I forgot something: if you want to get rid of your bootloader you will
          have to restore / create a Windows generic MBR.

          You can do that probably with the ME installer/repair CD. But e.g.
          SuperGRUB bootdisk will do a Windows MBR too, albeit under (ironic)
          protest.

          If I remember correctly the Windows shell command is fdisk /fixmbr on
          Win98SE, it is fdisk /mbr on WinXP, so you will have to check for ME
          what the correct syntax is.

          edward wrote:

          > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
          > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
          > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
          > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
          > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
          > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
          > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
          > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
          > all the space on the hard drive.
          > Ed
          > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
          > necessarily decay.
          > --Albert Einstein

          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Netherlands
          inboxgen@...
        • edward
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
            Thanks I will have to check into that. I am not sure of the syntax for
            restoring the MBR on ME. It needs it right now I have about 60 % of the
            F:\ partition removed as I have format running on that. When it is gone I
            will see what ME looks like. Problem is that computer is not on line and I
            think I can download GParted to this computer and put it on a flash drive
            and run it on the ME computer from the USB port. Is that possible?

            edward wrote:

            > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
            > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
            > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
            > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
            > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
            > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
            > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
            > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
            > all the space on the hard drive.
            > Ed
            > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
            > necessarily decay.
            > --Albert Einstein

            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Netherlands
            inboxgen@...

          • edward
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
              I am listening to the my receiver on 10 meters but that band sounds dead
              this AM. I was on 40 meters but the propagation there was not good on my net
              there. And trying to get the computer up and running on ME for my friend.
              Too many irons in the fire I guess.
              KF5BNB

              edward wrote:

              > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
              > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
              > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
              > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
              > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
              > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
              > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
              > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
              > all the space on the hard drive.
              > Ed
              > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
              > necessarily decay.
              > --Albert Einstein

              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Netherlands
              inboxgen@...

            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
                edward wrote:

                > think I can download GParted to this computer and put it on a flash drive
                > and run it on the ME computer from the USB port. Is that possible?

                I am sorry, I do not know if you can install GParted on a flash drive.

                Gerard

                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden