removing second OS from HD

  • edward
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
      I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons, his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have all the space on the hard drive.
      Ed
      Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must necessarily decay.
      --Albert Einstein

    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
        I would 1. backup the ME C partition (it is probably on C, or hda1/sda1
        if you wish), or all of the FAT 32 partitions if there are more, 2.
        delete all the Linux partitions with a stand alone partition manager
        like e.g. GParted (Linux, so freeware), and 3.with the partition manager
        resize the ME partition(s) to fill the whole drive.

        So, to answer your question exactly: there is one, easy way of getting
        rid of a Linux OS: delete the partitions.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        edward wrote:

        > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
        > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
        > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
        > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
        > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
        > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
        > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
        > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
        > all the space on the hard drive.
        > Ed
        > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
        > necessarily decay.
        > --Albert Einstein

        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Netherlands
        inboxgen@...
      • edward
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
          I will download the GParted software and see if I can use it. I am not sure
          I know how to use a partion manager. But with the C:\ backed up I should be
          able to re install it. Thanks
          Ed

          edward wrote:

          > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
          > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
          > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
          > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
          > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
          > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
          > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
          > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
          > all the space on the hard drive.
          > Ed
          > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
          > necessarily decay.
          > --Albert Einstein

          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Netherlands
          inboxgen@...

        • Gerard Huijing
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
            I forgot something: if you want to get rid of your bootloader you will
            have to restore / create a Windows generic MBR.

            You can do that probably with the ME installer/repair CD. But e.g.
            SuperGRUB bootdisk will do a Windows MBR too, albeit under (ironic)
            protest.

            If I remember correctly the Windows shell command is fdisk /fixmbr on
            Win98SE, it is fdisk /mbr on WinXP, so you will have to check for ME
            what the correct syntax is.

            edward wrote:

            > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
            > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
            > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
            > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
            > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
            > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
            > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
            > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
            > all the space on the hard drive.
            > Ed
            > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
            > necessarily decay.
            > --Albert Einstein

            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Netherlands
            inboxgen@...
          • edward
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
              Thanks I will have to check into that. I am not sure of the syntax for
              restoring the MBR on ME. It needs it right now I have about 60 % of the
              F:\ partition removed as I have format running on that. When it is gone I
              will see what ME looks like. Problem is that computer is not on line and I
              think I can download GParted to this computer and put it on a flash drive
              and run it on the ME computer from the USB port. Is that possible?

              edward wrote:

              > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
              > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
              > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
              > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
              > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
              > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
              > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
              > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
              > all the space on the hard drive.
              > Ed
              > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
              > necessarily decay.
              > --Albert Einstein

              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Netherlands
              inboxgen@...

            • edward
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
                I am listening to the my receiver on 10 meters but that band sounds dead
                this AM. I was on 40 meters but the propagation there was not good on my net
                there. And trying to get the computer up and running on ME for my friend.
                Too many irons in the fire I guess.
                KF5BNB

                edward wrote:

                > I have a hd with ME on it. I know ME is not good but I am giving it to
                > a friend who has ME and does not want to move up for various reasons,
                > his computer has almost no memory and a very small hard drive. My HD
                > with ME is large and the old computer that I was about to throw out
                > has almost a gig of memory and he could sure use it. But I have most
                > of the 80 gig hard drive with Obuntu on it. I would like to remove
                > Obuntu and let ME have all the hard drive but I have forgotten how to
                > do that. Is there an easy way to to remove Obuntu and and let ME have
                > all the space on the hard drive.
                > Ed
                > Any society that does not insist upon respect for all LIFE must
                > necessarily decay.
                > --Albert Einstein

                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Netherlands
                inboxgen@...

              • Gerard Huijing
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
                  edward wrote:

                  > think I can download GParted to this computer and put it on a flash drive
                  > and run it on the ME computer from the USB port. Is that possible?

                  I am sorry, I do not know if you can install GParted on a flash drive.

                  Gerard

                  --
                  Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  2312 ZD Leiden