email postage

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2009
      It has been suggested that the federal law which prohibits competing
      with the Post Office be applied to emails send via the internet in the
      USA. Some seem to feel that Email has made the Post Office
      non-profitable. They want to TAX email users to fund the snail mail
      system, and of course once government gets the bucks, who knows how they
      will spend it.

      It has been argued down several times in the last 20 years.

      Jeff

      fw7oaks wrote:
      > --- On Thu, 8/27/09, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:
      >

      >> The solution is not 'postage', it is 'education'. The minute no
      >> one will respond to a spam email is the moment that spammers will
      >> move on to something else. They are preying on ignorance.
      >>

      > I'd hoped I'd already made it clear I don't favor 'postage' but the economics of the situation suggest to me, at least, that 'education' is a non-starter.
      >
      > Assume at the moment the spammer is sending 100,000 eMails and gets 100 sales, assume education drops his sales to 5, a twenty-fold reduction because, other than his or her time the operation is still profitable and will continue to be done. Put 1 cent postage on each mail and the costs have risen to $1000 or each sale is ten bucks less profitable. That changes behavior
      >
      > fw.

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      Flockmaster,

      http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/