Re: [NTO] image overflow

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 26, 2009
      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      > I'm on board with these suggestions as well. I have actually built a
      > clip in the past to build links from my thumbs to the "bigger" images.
      > Haven't got a copy handy, but easily can be done.

      Yes! You helped me with this a coupla years ago. I use that modified
      clip to generate the code for linked images. This has really helped me a
      a lot in getting my pages up quicker and with more consistency.

      > I seldom put up a
      > picture larger than 800px. Just isn't necessary.
      >
      > One of the things I like about firefox is no matter how big you make
      > your picture it will autosize to the screen and you can zoom if you
      > want.

      I use the Image Tweak add-on for FF:
      It is very handy.

      >Technology is improving and most scalings are done well, but do
      > your viewers a favor and give a real thumbnail view first.

      I have to say "real thumbnail" is a matter of person choice.

      Thanks, Don.
      -Mike'
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2009
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Someone will have to tell me exactly how those figures are
        > derived and whether they have any meaning in the modern world.

        The main thing is that all that asks the wrong question. What one really
        needs to know ist what the window dimensions are, the screen is beside
        the point. There even are people running a virtual screen several times
        the size of the physical one so they can scroll between their windows or
        for a two-screen setup. Imagine their joy, when some script opens a
        window at full screen and without resize.

        Sadly it is far easier to ask for the screen dimensions than the window
        ones, which are one the things older IE versions did differently from
        everybody else. All too many Javascripters ask for screen dimensions and
        do things that are wrong for the window. Zooming in new IE and Opera
        versions makes things even more difficult but manageable.