Re: [NTO] Squiggly fonts on TFT

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 24, 2009
      On 23 Aug 09 16:22 loro <tabbie@...> said:
      > Believe it or not, but until recently I've only used CRT screens, so
      > I don't know much about TFT ones. Earlier this summer I bought a
      > small ASUS EEE. I noticed fonts sometimes were sort of squiggly and
      > hard to read. I thought, well, it's such a tiny screen and the whole
      > thing didn't cost very much, you get what you pay for.
      >
      > This week I bought a 24" BenQ. What an improvement over my old tired
      > CRT! But it has exactly the same problem as the small Netbook.

      I see that others have mentions the need for full resolution but
      missed any that pointed out that a most of these screens are
      widescreen format you can't use the good old 800x600, 1024x768 and
      similar sizes. Make sure your monitor is set for and appropriate
      widescreen size.

      Greg
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2009
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Someone will have to tell me exactly how those figures are
        > derived and whether they have any meaning in the modern world.

        The main thing is that all that asks the wrong question. What one really
        needs to know ist what the window dimensions are, the screen is beside
        the point. There even are people running a virtual screen several times
        the size of the physical one so they can scroll between their windows or
        for a two-screen setup. Imagine their joy, when some script opens a
        window at full screen and without resize.

        Sadly it is far easier to ask for the screen dimensions than the window
        ones, which are one the things older IE versions did differently from
        everybody else. All too many Javascripters ask for screen dimensions and
        do things that are wrong for the window. Zooming in new IE and Opera
        versions makes things even more difficult but manageable.