Re: [NTO] Squiggly fonts on TFT

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 23 9:59 AM
      Alex Plantema wrote:
      >Unlike CRT screens, TFT screens consist of individual pixels.
      >That's why they perform best when the maximum available resolution
      >is chosen in the display properties.
      >When using a lower resolution, some character pixels need to be
      >mapped onto more than one screen pixel,
      >with the result you described.
      >If the maximal resolution results in too small characters, you might
      >increase the character size in individual programs.

      I use the largest rest (the native one). Hmm. I don't think many
      programs lets you adjust the fonts size for their interface. If they
      do it's in giant steps. Maybe I should up the DPI in Windows
      properties a little. I don't think it will help though. For example,
      WordWeb displays the word descriptions in a thin, squiggly font. It
      lets me change between small, medium and large. It doesn't help.
      Large and squiggly is almost worse.

      Oh well. Watching movies is great!

      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27 11:45 AM
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Someone will have to tell me exactly how those figures are
        > derived and whether they have any meaning in the modern world.

        The main thing is that all that asks the wrong question. What one really
        needs to know ist what the window dimensions are, the screen is beside
        the point. There even are people running a virtual screen several times
        the size of the physical one so they can scroll between their windows or
        for a two-screen setup. Imagine their joy, when some script opens a
        window at full screen and without resize.

        Sadly it is far easier to ask for the screen dimensions than the window
        ones, which are one the things older IE versions did differently from
        everybody else. All too many Javascripters ask for screen dimensions and
        do things that are wrong for the window. Zooming in new IE and Opera
        versions makes things even more difficult but manageable.