Re: [NTO] Squiggly fonts on TFT

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 23, 2009
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >I'm not sure what was the default with NoteTab and what I've modified,
      >but look into
      > Options -> Documents -> Fonts
      >(The "Fonts" button is somewhat hidden there) and into
      > Options -> Clipbook -> Clipbook Font
      >and choose a TrueType font for both.

      Yeah, as said, I already changed font from MS Sans Serif to Arial for
      the Clipbook and that solved that problem. Documents isn't a problem.
      I just discovered NTP lets you change the font for tab caption, geez,
      haven't noticed that before in all these years, or maybe I had
      forgotten. Again getting rid of MS Sans Serif fixed it. Remains the
      font in Options which I don't think is easily changed. Not to speak
      of all other programs that don't let me change font at all. Some I
      use frequently. An old copy of WordWeb, my bookmark manager and my
      password manager... groan! My poor eyes!

      >The reason being that TTFs contain
      >hinting, which enables the screen driver to move letters very slightly
      >making the outline border coincide with a pixel border. CRTs can deal
      >with half pixels and details straddling pixel borders much better than
      >TFTs.
      >
      >See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_hinting

      I see, thank you.

      Doesn't anyone else see this problem? I can't believe it's just my
      screens with so different resolutions and other specs.

      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2009
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Someone will have to tell me exactly how those figures are
        > derived and whether they have any meaning in the modern world.

        The main thing is that all that asks the wrong question. What one really
        needs to know ist what the window dimensions are, the screen is beside
        the point. There even are people running a virtual screen several times
        the size of the physical one so they can scroll between their windows or
        for a two-screen setup. Imagine their joy, when some script opens a
        window at full screen and without resize.

        Sadly it is far easier to ask for the screen dimensions than the window
        ones, which are one the things older IE versions did differently from
        everybody else. All too many Javascripters ask for screen dimensions and
        do things that are wrong for the window. Zooming in new IE and Opera
        versions makes things even more difficult but manageable.