Re: [NTO] Squiggly fonts on TFT

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 23, 2009
      loro wrote:
      > The menu bar and the menus are almost totally unaffected.
      > The captions on the tabs are definitely affected and also text in
      > Options. It gets worse if the document is focused so the tab
      > background turns to a lighter gray.

      I'm not sure what was the default with NoteTab and what I've modified,
      but look into
      Options -> Documents -> Fonts
      (The "Fonts" button is somewhat hidden there) and into
      Options -> Clipbook -> Clipbook Font
      and choose a TrueType font for both. The reason being that TTFs contain
      hinting, which enables the screen driver to move letters very slightly
      making the outline border coincide with a pixel border. CRTs can deal
      with half pixels and details straddling pixel borders much better than
      TFTs.

      See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_hinting

      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2009
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Someone will have to tell me exactly how those figures are
        > derived and whether they have any meaning in the modern world.

        The main thing is that all that asks the wrong question. What one really
        needs to know ist what the window dimensions are, the screen is beside
        the point. There even are people running a virtual screen several times
        the size of the physical one so they can scroll between their windows or
        for a two-screen setup. Imagine their joy, when some script opens a
        window at full screen and without resize.

        Sadly it is far easier to ask for the screen dimensions than the window
        ones, which are one the things older IE versions did differently from
        everybody else. All too many Javascripters ask for screen dimensions and
        do things that are wrong for the window. Zooming in new IE and Opera
        versions makes things even more difficult but manageable.