Squiggly fonts on TFT

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 23, 2009
      Hi!

      Believe it or not, but until recently I've only used CRT screens, so
      I don't know much about TFT ones. Earlier this summer I bought a
      small ASUS EEE. I noticed fonts sometimes were sort of squiggly and
      hard to read. I thought, well, it's such a tiny screen and the whole
      thing didn't cost very much, you get what you pay for.

      This week I bought a 24" BenQ. What an improvement over my old tired
      CRT! But it has exactly the same problem as the small Netbook. OK,
      BenQ isn't top of the line maybe and their screens are cheapish, but
      they are supposed to be good. It's too odd that it has exactly the
      same problem as the 10" ASUS.

      I'll try to describe the problem a little closer. It's especially
      noticeable for fonts used in program interfaces. Alas Notetab is
      affected. The menu bar and the menus are almost totally unaffected.
      The captions on the tabs are definitely affected and also text in
      Options. It gets worse if the document is focused so the tab
      background turns to a lighter gray. At least I can read, but I have
      other programs where it's even worse.

      I think I've narrowed it down. It seems to happen when the font is
      very thin, has very thin lines. I originally used MS Sans Serif for
      the Clip list and the Quick List. I've always found that font very
      crisp and readable at small sizes. Not now - horrible. I changed to
      Arial at the same small size, 8pt, and all is well again.

      To describe how it looks, well, it looks squiggly, jaggy, not
      pixelated but close to, and it makes the letters look fainter, not as
      black as they should be. If there is a colored background, as the
      classic gray I use for programs, you can also see what looks like
      white artefacts. Small spots of white close to some letters. It also
      happens to some icons where it shows as very thin white "shadow" line
      or small white blotches, I think where the icon already has a very
      thin line. For example the W(ordwrap) and Spell checker icons in Notetab.

      The undesirable effect can also be seen otherwise, for example on web
      pages, but it isn't common. Then there can also be colored blotches.
      On one site where I noticed it, every instance of double l had a
      turquoise color between the two letters. The background was white but
      probably not pure white, so I guess the color of the blotches are
      picked up from the background.

      Now to my questions. Is this problem typical for TFT screens and can
      something be done about it? I can't believe that two so different
      screens would be faulty in exactly the same way. Oh, I should mention
      I have font smoothing on and use ClearType.

      Sorry for the long post, but I didn't know how to describe it.
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2009
        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Someone will have to tell me exactly how those figures are
        > derived and whether they have any meaning in the modern world.

        The main thing is that all that asks the wrong question. What one really
        needs to know ist what the window dimensions are, the screen is beside
        the point. There even are people running a virtual screen several times
        the size of the physical one so they can scroll between their windows or
        for a two-screen setup. Imagine their joy, when some script opens a
        window at full screen and without resize.

        Sadly it is far easier to ask for the screen dimensions than the window
        ones, which are one the things older IE versions did differently from
        everybody else. All too many Javascripters ask for screen dimensions and
        do things that are wrong for the window. Zooming in new IE and Opera
        versions makes things even more difficult but manageable.