IrfanViiew OCR plugin Capturing "random" text from screen

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2009
      We've had a couple of discussions in the past about how to capture the
      text from message-boxes etc that don't natively support copy text to
      clipboard. Up to now AFAIK the "best of breed" is the CaptureText
      program (shortcut=Ctl+ALT+T) which I believe works by querying internal
      Windows data structures (thx Sheri):
      http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html

      Irfanview (latest version 4.25) http://www.irfanview.net/ now provides
      OCR support through a plugin OCR kADAMOS
      http://rerecognition-download.ch/irfan/kadmos44/KADMOS.htm

      [F9] opens the OCR plugin, click+drag selection box - recognized text is
      ready to copy to clipboard or file.

      (I use JING - one click save to (say) D:\Temp to capture).
      So far English-only and poor-results with small or faint print but from
      a screen shot of this email in progress was able to recognize the following:

      > We've had a couple of discussions in the past about how to capture
      > the text from message-boxes etc that don't
      > natively support copy text to clipboard. Up to now AFAIK the
      > ''best of breed'' in the CmtweText
      > (shortcut=Ctl+ALT+T) which I believe works by querying internal
      > Windows data structures (thx Sher0.
      > http://www 10.pair.com/vsap/ FreeSoft.html
      > Irfanview oatest version 4.25) http://www.irfanview.net/ now
      > provides OCR support through a plugin OCR
      > kADAMOS http://rerecognition-d0wn10ad.ch/irfan/kadm0s44/KADM0S.htm
      > [F9] opens the OCR plugin, click~drag selection box - recognized
      > text is ready to copy to clipboard or file.
      > (I use JING - one click save to (say) D:\Temp to capture).
      > ~,, f~r ~nc1;eh-,,nl.~ ~nA

      Not too bad at all :-) . The gibberish at the bottom resulted from a
      poorly drawn selection box.
      Note: The save-to-file before opening in IrfanView can be avoided by
      asking Jing to instead copy to clipboard then inside IrfanView,
      Edit-Paste - F9 - drawSelectionBox. Time required less than 15 seconds
      if you've already got IrfanView on the QuickLaunch bar.