Re: [NTO] IE 8 Woes

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
      Greg Chapman wrote:

      > Hi Larry,
      >
      > On 24 Jun 09 23:23 Larry Hamilton <lmh@...
      > <mailto:lmh%40hamiltongensociety.org>> said:
      > > There are options in a networked environment for the admin to
      > > configure updates to go out when the admin is ready for them.
      >
      > There are options for the stand-alone user too:
      >
      > In XP:
      > 1. Open Control Panel > Security Centre
      > 2. At the bottom of the dialogue under "Manage Security Settings for",
      > choose "Automatic Updates"
      > 3. On the dialogue that appears choose from one of the options:
      >
      > # Automatic (Recommended) - with an option to set a day of week and
      > time
      > # Download updates for me but let me choose when to install them
      > # Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
      > # Turn off Automatic Updates
      >
      > I use the third option. This tells me the name, function, size and
      > whether it can be uninstalled after installation for each patch, often
      > several are released at once and you can pick and choose which to
      > accept to download. There is then a further dialogue to determine when
      > to install them. It gets pretty nagging once you've downloaded a
      > patch.
      >
      > I assume that Vista is much the same?
      >
      > Greg

      Just some additional information that may be useful: the Windows Secrets
      newsletter has quite extensive coverage of the ins and outs of Automatic
      updates.

      It is possible to browse and search the newsletters archive, but I do
      not know what is freely accessible as I have the paid version of the
      newsletter.

      Cheers,
      Gerard
      --
      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
        Gerard Huijing (inboxgen@...) wrote (in part) (on
        2009-06-25 at 10:50):
        > Just some additional information that may be useful: the Windows
        > Secrets
        > newsletter has quite extensive coverage of the ins and outs of
        > Automatic
        > updates.
        >
        > It is possible to browse and search the newsletters archive, but I do
        > not know what is freely accessible as I have the paid version of the
        > newsletter.

        Yes -- Windows Secrets is well worth the subscription especially as you
        pay whatever you want.
        I always feel like such a cheapskate when I ask them to bill my
        credit-card for $1.00 each year (I think I'm in my third year now). Its
        almost the only thing I do pay for on the web.