Re: [NTO] Firefox 3.5 success

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > @Sheri - I had no problems with the Windows update install of IE8 to
      > replace IE7 but don't use it much and haven't played around with Desktop
      > backgrounds in a long time - I think that was your major problem?

      Yes, I like to view a collection of edited photos resized for the
      purpose, randomly as wallpaper. Without icons. And my display is set to
      120 dpi. A bad combination for IE8.

      As browser I mostly use Firefox and so far I've seen nothing in IE8 to
      change that. The issue I had with Chrome is now resolved, so I may start
      using it more often.

      I knew Firefox 3.5 was in the final stages of testing, but am waiting
      for the release to install it. Thanks for the hints.

      Regards,
      Sheri
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
        At 05:23 2009-06-25, Sheri wrote:
        >The issue I had with Chrome is now resolved, so I may start
        >using it more often.

        If the issue you had was Chrome's spying habits you may like this better.
        http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

        I think the horrible thing indexed my whole harddrive. It never
        stopped squeaking. Google's getting scary.

        Lotta
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
          Greg Chapman wrote:

          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > On 24 Jun 09 23:23 Larry Hamilton <lmh@...
          > <mailto:lmh%40hamiltongensociety.org>> said:
          > > There are options in a networked environment for the admin to
          > > configure updates to go out when the admin is ready for them.
          >
          > There are options for the stand-alone user too:
          >
          > In XP:
          > 1. Open Control Panel > Security Centre
          > 2. At the bottom of the dialogue under "Manage Security Settings for",
          > choose "Automatic Updates"
          > 3. On the dialogue that appears choose from one of the options:
          >
          > # Automatic (Recommended) - with an option to set a day of week and
          > time
          > # Download updates for me but let me choose when to install them
          > # Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
          > # Turn off Automatic Updates
          >
          > I use the third option. This tells me the name, function, size and
          > whether it can be uninstalled after installation for each patch, often
          > several are released at once and you can pick and choose which to
          > accept to download. There is then a further dialogue to determine when
          > to install them. It gets pretty nagging once you've downloaded a
          > patch.
          >
          > I assume that Vista is much the same?
          >
          > Greg

          Just some additional information that may be useful: the Windows Secrets
          newsletter has quite extensive coverage of the ins and outs of Automatic
          updates.

          It is possible to browse and search the newsletters archive, but I do
          not know what is freely accessible as I have the paid version of the
          newsletter.

          Cheers,
          Gerard
          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
            Gerard Huijing (inboxgen@...) wrote (in part) (on
            2009-06-25 at 10:50):
            > Just some additional information that may be useful: the Windows
            > Secrets
            > newsletter has quite extensive coverage of the ins and outs of
            > Automatic
            > updates.
            >
            > It is possible to browse and search the newsletters archive, but I do
            > not know what is freely accessible as I have the paid version of the
            > newsletter.

            Yes -- Windows Secrets is well worth the subscription especially as you
            pay whatever you want.
            I always feel like such a cheapskate when I ask them to bill my
            credit-card for $1.00 each year (I think I'm in my third year now). Its
            almost the only thing I do pay for on the web.