Re: [NTO] IE 8 Woes

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
      M$ was supposed to roll IE8 out as an optional upgrade, but suddenly and
      without warning reversed course and put it on the high priority update,
      so millions installed it without being asked, if they had the option set
      to automatically install.

      You can "refuse" and update on a computer by computer basis. There is
      some sort of option when IE8 comes up, to "hide" further notifications.
      You can also go to the M$ Update site and tell it to ignore a given
      update. Again, both options are a computer by computer basis.

      There are options in a networked environment for the admin to configure
      updates to go out when the admin is ready for them.

      HTH,

      Larry Hamilton

      Sheri wrote:
      > Auto-Updates for XP sent me IE8 as an update yesterday and I installed it this morning. Nothing but heartache since. IE components are used on the Windows Desktop. I use (used) 120 dpi Windows advanced display option. The 120 dpi setting is apparently incompatible. At first I didn't know this was the problem. When I rebooted after the IE8 install, my desktop image was scaled huge and only showed the upper left quandrant. Google search yielded a suggestion to disable ActiveDesktop by adding a NoActiveDeskop value to the registry. With that change I could no longer use photo wallpaper images. So I reset that. Next I found an option to change the HTML renderer setting in the registry from 273 to zero. With that change, wallpaper images displayed correctly but only if desktop icons were visible. Uncheck "show desktop icons" and the image again shows only a huge upper left quandrant. I usually do not show desktop icons. Then I found a suggestion to change the dpi setting to "norma
      > l" (tiny) 96 dpi. With that change, the wallpaper is the right size whether icons are visible or not. But text is too small on the taskbar and all my applications (including NoteTab). Now I want to uninstall ie8 seeing issues people have had trying to remove it has given pause.
      >
      > I don't know if its possible to refuse an XP update. The little icon comes up in the tray/notification area until you install it. But just thought it might be nice to warn you guys, especially anyone else using 120 dpi.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri

    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
        Hi Larry,

        On 24 Jun 09 23:23 Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> said:
        > There are options in a networked environment for the admin to
        > configure updates to go out when the admin is ready for them.

        There are options for the stand-alone user too:

        In XP:
        1. Open Control Panel > Security Centre
        2. At the bottom of the dialogue under "Manage Security Settings for",
        choose "Automatic Updates"
        3. On the dialogue that appears choose from one of the options:

        # Automatic (Recommended) - with an option to set a day of week and
        time
        # Download updates for me but let me choose when to install them
        # Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
        # Turn off Automatic Updates

        I use the third option. This tells me the name, function, size and
        whether it can be uninstalled after installation for each patch, often
        several are released at once and you can pick and choose which to
        accept to download. There is then a further dialogue to determine when
        to install them. It gets pretty nagging once you've downloaded a
        patch.

        I assume that Vista is much the same?

        Greg
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
          All:
          FWIW - I made the cut over from Firefox 3.0.x to Firefox 3.5 RC2 as my
          "default" browser yesterday.
          So far everything seems to be going well. The principal addons I rely on
          have been updated for 3.5 compatibility already.

          IMO FFox 3.5 is *much faster* than FFox 3.0.x and *better able to handle
          many tabs open* without stalling due to memory exhaustion.

          A couple of notes in case they are helpful. I've written this as much
          for my own reference to provide a road map for future versions of
          Firefox as anything else but if you find it useful and/or have comments
          I'd like to hear them.

          You can have access to the earlier 3.0.x version if you append
          --no-remote as a command line switch. This allows both 3.0.x and 3.5 to
          run simultaneously (though they must be using different profiles).

          I keep all my profiles external to the default %appdata% folder and name
          them rather than allowing FFox to assign the random numbers. File to
          look at is (for me on WinXP):
          C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

          Note: I also have the portable apps version for both Firefox 3.0.11 and
          Firefox 3.5 RC2 and with them the mandatory profile must be named
          "profile" so my profiles.ini file looks like this:

          [General]
          StartWithLastProfile=1

          [Profile0]
          Name=Portable FFox 3_0
          IsRelative=0
          Path=D:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable_3_0\Data\profile
          Default=1

          [Profile1]
          Name=Portable FFox main (3_5)
          IsRelative=0
          Path=D:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable_3_5\Data\profile

          To kick-start the process I just copied the entire folder
          Path=D:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable_3_0\Data\ into
          D:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable_3_5\Data\ which starts the 3.5 version
          off with the same addons (and their settings), bookmarks , history,
          cookies and saved passwords (I use Sxipper and Roboform) as you had in
          the 3.0.11 version.

          Note when using PortableApps versions AFAICT there doesn't appear to be
          any way to pass the -p command-line switch which says select profile to
          use before starting.

          So I've got four versions of Firefox on my system ... one each for the
          "PortableApps" version and one each for the installed version. In
          QuickLaunch I have two shortcuts one to start PortableApps version of
          3.5 it always invokes D:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable_3_5\Data\profile
          and its command line is (per Properties-Target):

          D:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortable_3_5\FirefoxPortable.exe

          The second shortcut (to invoke the older 3.0.11) from its installed
          %progfiles% location:

          "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3_0\firefox.exe" -no-remote -p

          because of the -p flag I get to choose which of "Portable FFox 3_0" and
          Portable FFox main (3_5) profiles to use but though I "could" use the
          "Portable FFox main (3_5)" profile (if it were not already in use with
          the PortableApps FFox 3.5) but in practice I always select the "Portable
          FFox 3_0" profile.

          Note: the icons for 3.0.x and 3.5 are subtly different - enough so that
          you can identify which is which in the taskbar. If you have addon Mr
          Tech Toolkit addon you can also tweak the titlebar so that it identifies
          version in use and profile in use. It can also be used to "force
          compatibility" if author of one of your favorite addons hasn't
          officially updated it yet for 3.5. Currently I'm only doing this for
          TabMix Plus.

          If you are not super-paranoid you can get addon XMarks which will sync
          bookmarks between your two profiles (and also with which ever version of
          Firefox you are using on other computers). Note - it also can be used to
          actively sync in the background between Firefox and IE7 or IE8 on the
          same or different computers. Very cool - it just works!!

          The only current problem I have with FFox 3.5 RC2 is that the Google
          Toolbar for Firefox while it works, does not seem to allow addition of
          other buttons (eg News, Mail, Images, GetLucky and SearchCurrentSite).
          Are there any other early adopters who have noticed this and can
          confirm/deny?

          @Sheri - I had no problems with the Windows update install of IE8 to
          replace IE7 but don't use it much and haven't played around with Desktop
          backgrounds in a long time - I think that was your major problem?

          Greg Chapman (gregchapmanuk@...) wrote (in part) (on
          2009-06-24 at 19:49):
          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > On 24 Jun 09 23:23 Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> said:
          > > > There are options in a networked environment for the admin to
          > > > configure updates to go out when the admin is ready for them.

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > @Sheri - I had no problems with the Windows update install of IE8 to
            > replace IE7 but don't use it much and haven't played around with Desktop
            > backgrounds in a long time - I think that was your major problem?

            Yes, I like to view a collection of edited photos resized for the
            purpose, randomly as wallpaper. Without icons. And my display is set to
            120 dpi. A bad combination for IE8.

            As browser I mostly use Firefox and so far I've seen nothing in IE8 to
            change that. The issue I had with Chrome is now resolved, so I may start
            using it more often.

            I knew Firefox 3.5 was in the final stages of testing, but am waiting
            for the release to install it. Thanks for the hints.

            Regards,
            Sheri
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
              At 05:23 2009-06-25, Sheri wrote:
              >The issue I had with Chrome is now resolved, so I may start
              >using it more often.

              If the issue you had was Chrome's spying habits you may like this better.
              http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

              I think the horrible thing indexed my whole harddrive. It never
              stopped squeaking. Google's getting scary.

              Lotta
            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
                Greg Chapman wrote:

                > Hi Larry,
                >
                > On 24 Jun 09 23:23 Larry Hamilton <lmh@...
                > <mailto:lmh%40hamiltongensociety.org>> said:
                > > There are options in a networked environment for the admin to
                > > configure updates to go out when the admin is ready for them.
                >
                > There are options for the stand-alone user too:
                >
                > In XP:
                > 1. Open Control Panel > Security Centre
                > 2. At the bottom of the dialogue under "Manage Security Settings for",
                > choose "Automatic Updates"
                > 3. On the dialogue that appears choose from one of the options:
                >
                > # Automatic (Recommended) - with an option to set a day of week and
                > time
                > # Download updates for me but let me choose when to install them
                > # Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
                > # Turn off Automatic Updates
                >
                > I use the third option. This tells me the name, function, size and
                > whether it can be uninstalled after installation for each patch, often
                > several are released at once and you can pick and choose which to
                > accept to download. There is then a further dialogue to determine when
                > to install them. It gets pretty nagging once you've downloaded a
                > patch.
                >
                > I assume that Vista is much the same?
                >
                > Greg

                Just some additional information that may be useful: the Windows Secrets
                newsletter has quite extensive coverage of the ins and outs of Automatic
                updates.

                It is possible to browse and search the newsletters archive, but I do
                not know what is freely accessible as I have the paid version of the
                newsletter.

                Cheers,
                Gerard
                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
                  Gerard Huijing (inboxgen@...) wrote (in part) (on
                  2009-06-25 at 10:50):
                  > Just some additional information that may be useful: the Windows
                  > Secrets
                  > newsletter has quite extensive coverage of the ins and outs of
                  > Automatic
                  > updates.
                  >
                  > It is possible to browse and search the newsletters archive, but I do
                  > not know what is freely accessible as I have the paid version of the
                  > newsletter.

                  Yes -- Windows Secrets is well worth the subscription especially as you
                  pay whatever you want.
                  I always feel like such a cheapskate when I ask them to bill my
                  credit-card for $1.00 each year (I think I'm in my third year now). Its
                  almost the only thing I do pay for on the web.