Text editor spreadsheet (was: Google Squared Goes Live, Puts Web Search Into A Spreadsheet)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      I subscribe to GHacks RSS feed and today found about a new feature out
      of Google-Labs http://www.google.com/squared/

      Whenever I look at a new search engine I usually start by entering
      "Notetab" just to see what comes up.

      Not very useful in this case, so I instead searched for [text editor].
      Google Squared automatically suggested these "columns"(attributes):
      Image Description Date License Platform
      And initially filled in these seven "rows": Emacs EmEditor TextMate
      NEdit JEdit Notepad UltraEdit

      I manually added as columns "features" and "version" and as a row
      "notetab" then ask for its next 10 suggested text editors to be added
      below that.

      The result is here:
      http://www.google.com/squared/table/agvH_ddj931hyyHIX-xGVuWQ
      Once built and if logged in, you can save the table for later use,
      add/delete columns (info you want to see for each row), add/delete rows
      (items you want to see compared against similar entries).

      You may not be as impressed as I am but this seems to be seriously neat
      especially when/if it gets more developed. Google [google squared] for
      other opinions from those not as easily impressed as I am :-)

      "Erick Schonfeld" ("Erick Schonfeld") wrote (in part) (on 2009-06-03
      at 15:49):

      <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/12/what-is-google-squared-it-is-how-google-will-crush-wolfram-alpha-exclusive-video/>

      http://www.google.com/squared/search?q=planets>
      > and the results come up as grid with the planet names, images, a short
      > description, the equatorial surface, and the mean density. It only
      manages to
      > identify seven planets, and those include Pluto and Ceres. (Where’s
      Uranus?)