Re: [NTO] Widget to disable touchpad

  • Torben Joergensen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hi Lotta!

      Have a look at EEEToggle:

      http://amanda_hoic.mysinablog.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=1493641

      I believe that is just what you are looking for.

      --
      Torben

      eee701SD 8 Gb SSD linux + 30Gb portable HD
      eee901 20 Gb SSD linux
      eee091 16 Bg SSD XP
      eee1000H 160 Gb HD XP

      loro skrev:
      > Hi!
      >
      > Looking for a program that can temporarily disable the touchpad. My
      > hands brush against it all the time when I type and the cursors
      > dances all over the place. Typing in the air is a bummer. I don't
      > have the options in the mouse CP that I know some laptops come with.
      > "Disable when mouse is plugged in" would be perfect, but alas...
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hi Loro,

        On 03 Jun 09 22:19 loro <loro-spam01-@...> said:

        > Nope. There is no easy way to disable the pad. When I googled I
        > learned that some Asus models lack this feature.

        My laptop uses a Synaptics touchpad driver, but I always have a
        standard mouse plugged in.

        I went to the Control Panel, created a shortcut to the Mouse.cpl file
        on the desktop. Open that and then the Device Settings tab, I find a
        "Disable" button. It kills the touchpad but not the mouse. The
        touchpad can easily be re-enabled with the "Enable" button.

        I'm assuming, from what you say, that this wouldn't work for the Asus
        EEEPC?

        (I see I could also have a tray icon on taskbar and avoid the Mouse
        shortcut!)

        Greg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
          Torben Joergensen wrote:
          >I believe that is just what you are looking for.

          Looks like just the thing. Yay!

          Mange tak! :-)
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
            I wrote:
            >Torben Joergensen wrote:
            > >I believe that is just what you are looking for.
            >
            >Looks like just the thing. Yay!

            Must tell you what happened since you have the same model. I
            installed EeeToggle but it complained about not finding some DLL. OK,
            better reinstall the drivers. Downloaded the latest from Asus's site,
            uninstalled EeeToggle, installed the drivers and installed EeeToggle
            again. Now it threw an error, one of those with a lot of numbers and
            letters. Bummer.

            But lo and behold, when I went to look at the mouse properties in
            device manager, there were all the special setting for the touchpad,
            including Disable when mouse is plugged in! One can change the
            touchpad actions and other things there too. Very peculiar. I found a
            lot of forum posts where people complained about this issue and
            always the same answer. The 1000H and some other models lacks this
            feature. The posts weren't all old either. The drivers I got were
            from February this year, from here.
            http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

            Still would like to get EeeToggle to work. Seems neat to do it with a
            Quick Key. Maybe I can do it without EeeToggle, once I figure out how
            to configure that key. But the tray icon that installed with the
            driver is fine too, even if it takes a couple of clicks to get to this option.

            Note to self: always install the latest drivers. The ones one the CD
            can be outdated.

            God natt! (Goodnight)
            Lotta
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
              Remember when someone's post was ... are you sure you have the latest
              drivers? Someone told you so ;-)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                Don,
                >Remember when someone's post was ... are you sure you have the latest
                >drivers? Someone told you so ;-)

                Actually no. Was it you? Sorry in that case.

                I know one should update drivers right off, but when you read
                hundreds of posts and articles stating the feature isn't available
                and the manual doesn't mention it with a word... OK, I confess! I'm
                all too gullible. :-(