Re: [NTO] Widget to disable touchpad

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2009
      Don wrote:
      >Can you not just write a clip to do it for you?

      Any tips on how to do that? I don't speak driver. ;-) Besides that,
      I'm looking for something that's quick and convenient since I at
      times would use it frequently. There obviously are neat programs out
      there, I just don't manage to find the right one, although
      TouchFreeze is close, probably perfect for a better typist.

      >Are their better
      >drivers for your computer or mouse that will have the extra option?

      Doesn't look that way.

      Lotta
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
        Hi
        Does the pad have a icon next to the speaker right click and disable it
        should not affect wireless mouse.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
          Hi Dave,
          >Does the pad have a icon next to the speaker right click and disable it
          >should not affect wireless mouse.

          Nope. There is no easy way to disable the pad. When I googled I
          learned that some Asus models lack this feature. Little did I know. I
          read it may be possible to disable it from BIOS but I haven't
          checked. It would be to cumbersome to turn it off and on all the time
          that way anyhow.

          I'm pleased with the machine anyway and if nothing even better turns
          up, TouchFreeze works well enough and I'll probably be fine with it
          when I get more used to the keyboard.

          Thanks for trying to help! :-)
          Lotta
        • Torben Joergensen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi Lotta!

            Have a look at EEEToggle:

            http://amanda_hoic.mysinablog.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=1493641

            I believe that is just what you are looking for.

            --
            Torben

            eee701SD 8 Gb SSD linux + 30Gb portable HD
            eee901 20 Gb SSD linux
            eee091 16 Bg SSD XP
            eee1000H 160 Gb HD XP

            loro skrev:
            > Hi!
            >
            > Looking for a program that can temporarily disable the touchpad. My
            > hands brush against it all the time when I type and the cursors
            > dances all over the place. Typing in the air is a bummer. I don't
            > have the options in the mouse CP that I know some laptops come with.
            > "Disable when mouse is plugged in" would be perfect, but alas...
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
              Hi Loro,

              On 03 Jun 09 22:19 loro <loro-spam01-@...> said:

              > Nope. There is no easy way to disable the pad. When I googled I
              > learned that some Asus models lack this feature.

              My laptop uses a Synaptics touchpad driver, but I always have a
              standard mouse plugged in.

              I went to the Control Panel, created a shortcut to the Mouse.cpl file
              on the desktop. Open that and then the Device Settings tab, I find a
              "Disable" button. It kills the touchpad but not the mouse. The
              touchpad can easily be re-enabled with the "Enable" button.

              I'm assuming, from what you say, that this wouldn't work for the Asus
              EEEPC?

              (I see I could also have a tray icon on taskbar and avoid the Mouse
              shortcut!)

              Greg
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                Torben Joergensen wrote:
                >I believe that is just what you are looking for.

                Looks like just the thing. Yay!

                Mange tak! :-)
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                  I wrote:
                  >Torben Joergensen wrote:
                  > >I believe that is just what you are looking for.
                  >
                  >Looks like just the thing. Yay!

                  Must tell you what happened since you have the same model. I
                  installed EeeToggle but it complained about not finding some DLL. OK,
                  better reinstall the drivers. Downloaded the latest from Asus's site,
                  uninstalled EeeToggle, installed the drivers and installed EeeToggle
                  again. Now it threw an error, one of those with a lot of numbers and
                  letters. Bummer.

                  But lo and behold, when I went to look at the mouse properties in
                  device manager, there were all the special setting for the touchpad,
                  including Disable when mouse is plugged in! One can change the
                  touchpad actions and other things there too. Very peculiar. I found a
                  lot of forum posts where people complained about this issue and
                  always the same answer. The 1000H and some other models lacks this
                  feature. The posts weren't all old either. The drivers I got were
                  from February this year, from here.
                  http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

                  Still would like to get EeeToggle to work. Seems neat to do it with a
                  Quick Key. Maybe I can do it without EeeToggle, once I figure out how
                  to configure that key. But the tray icon that installed with the
                  driver is fine too, even if it takes a couple of clicks to get to this option.

                  Note to self: always install the latest drivers. The ones one the CD
                  can be outdated.

                  God natt! (Goodnight)
                  Lotta
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                    Remember when someone's post was ... are you sure you have the latest
                    drivers? Someone told you so ;-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                      Don,
                      >Remember when someone's post was ... are you sure you have the latest
                      >drivers? Someone told you so ;-)

                      Actually no. Was it you? Sorry in that case.

                      I know one should update drivers right off, but when you read
                      hundreds of posts and articles stating the feature isn't available
                      and the manual doesn't mention it with a word... OK, I confess! I'm
                      all too gullible. :-(