Widget to disable touchpad

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi!

      Looking for a program that can temporarily disable the touchpad. My
      hands brush against it all the time when I type and the cursors
      dances all over the place. Typing in the air is a bummer. I don't
      have the options in the mouse CP that I know some laptops come with.
      "Disable when mouse is plugged in" would be perfect, but alas...

      I've found two programs so far. I list them in case someone else can use them.

      Virtual Touchpad Cover. A keyboard shortcut toggles the touchpad
      on/off. Works OK, only it disables the mouse too, which wasn't what I
      was looking for.
      http://www.brothersoft.com/virtual-touchpad-cover-1651.html
      TouchFreeze. This one automatically disables the touchpad when you
      type. It works very well.
      http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/

      TouchFreeze is pretty great, actually. But I'm a poor typist and
      occasionally stop to find a key or just to think. When that happens I
      more often than not type in the air when I start again. So, does
      someone have something cool up their sleeve?

      P.S. to Dave. I got an Asus. EEE 1000H. Love it already! :-)

      TIA
      Lotta
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2009
        Can you not just write a clip to do it for you? Are their better
        drivers for your computer or mouse that will have the extra option?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2009
          Don wrote:
          >Can you not just write a clip to do it for you?

          Any tips on how to do that? I don't speak driver. ;-) Besides that,
          I'm looking for something that's quick and convenient since I at
          times would use it frequently. There obviously are neat programs out
          there, I just don't manage to find the right one, although
          TouchFreeze is close, probably perfect for a better typist.

          >Are their better
          >drivers for your computer or mouse that will have the extra option?

          Doesn't look that way.

          Lotta
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi
            Does the pad have a icon next to the speaker right click and disable it
            should not affect wireless mouse.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
              Hi Dave,
              >Does the pad have a icon next to the speaker right click and disable it
              >should not affect wireless mouse.

              Nope. There is no easy way to disable the pad. When I googled I
              learned that some Asus models lack this feature. Little did I know. I
              read it may be possible to disable it from BIOS but I haven't
              checked. It would be to cumbersome to turn it off and on all the time
              that way anyhow.

              I'm pleased with the machine anyway and if nothing even better turns
              up, TouchFreeze works well enough and I'll probably be fine with it
              when I get more used to the keyboard.

              Thanks for trying to help! :-)
              Lotta
            • Torben Joergensen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
                Hi Lotta!

                Have a look at EEEToggle:

                http://amanda_hoic.mysinablog.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=1493641

                I believe that is just what you are looking for.

                --
                Torben

                eee701SD 8 Gb SSD linux + 30Gb portable HD
                eee901 20 Gb SSD linux
                eee091 16 Bg SSD XP
                eee1000H 160 Gb HD XP

                loro skrev:
                > Hi!
                >
                > Looking for a program that can temporarily disable the touchpad. My
                > hands brush against it all the time when I type and the cursors
                > dances all over the place. Typing in the air is a bummer. I don't
                > have the options in the mouse CP that I know some laptops come with.
                > "Disable when mouse is plugged in" would be perfect, but alas...
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                  Hi Loro,

                  On 03 Jun 09 22:19 loro <loro-spam01-@...> said:

                  > Nope. There is no easy way to disable the pad. When I googled I
                  > learned that some Asus models lack this feature.

                  My laptop uses a Synaptics touchpad driver, but I always have a
                  standard mouse plugged in.

                  I went to the Control Panel, created a shortcut to the Mouse.cpl file
                  on the desktop. Open that and then the Device Settings tab, I find a
                  "Disable" button. It kills the touchpad but not the mouse. The
                  touchpad can easily be re-enabled with the "Enable" button.

                  I'm assuming, from what you say, that this wouldn't work for the Asus
                  EEEPC?

                  (I see I could also have a tray icon on taskbar and avoid the Mouse
                  shortcut!)

                  Greg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                    Torben Joergensen wrote:
                    >I believe that is just what you are looking for.

                    Looks like just the thing. Yay!

                    Mange tak! :-)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                      I wrote:
                      >Torben Joergensen wrote:
                      > >I believe that is just what you are looking for.
                      >
                      >Looks like just the thing. Yay!

                      Must tell you what happened since you have the same model. I
                      installed EeeToggle but it complained about not finding some DLL. OK,
                      better reinstall the drivers. Downloaded the latest from Asus's site,
                      uninstalled EeeToggle, installed the drivers and installed EeeToggle
                      again. Now it threw an error, one of those with a lot of numbers and
                      letters. Bummer.

                      But lo and behold, when I went to look at the mouse properties in
                      device manager, there were all the special setting for the touchpad,
                      including Disable when mouse is plugged in! One can change the
                      touchpad actions and other things there too. Very peculiar. I found a
                      lot of forum posts where people complained about this issue and
                      always the same answer. The 1000H and some other models lacks this
                      feature. The posts weren't all old either. The drivers I got were
                      from February this year, from here.
                      http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

                      Still would like to get EeeToggle to work. Seems neat to do it with a
                      Quick Key. Maybe I can do it without EeeToggle, once I figure out how
                      to configure that key. But the tray icon that installed with the
                      driver is fine too, even if it takes a couple of clicks to get to this option.

                      Note to self: always install the latest drivers. The ones one the CD
                      can be outdated.

                      God natt! (Goodnight)
                      Lotta
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                        Remember when someone's post was ... are you sure you have the latest
                        drivers? Someone told you so ;-)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                          Don,
                          >Remember when someone's post was ... are you sure you have the latest
                          >drivers? Someone told you so ;-)

                          Actually no. Was it you? Sorry in that case.

                          I know one should update drivers right off, but when you read
                          hundreds of posts and articles stating the feature isn't available
                          and the manual doesn't mention it with a word... OK, I confess! I'm
                          all too gullible. :-(