Re: [NTO] folders to left side of explorer windows

  • dpasseng
    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2009
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > Axel Berger wrote:
      > > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      > >> When I use a save as dialog, open dialog our use windows
      > >> explorer, there are usually several folders to the left that are
      > >> essentially shortcuts.
      > >> 1. how did we do it (this would be off topic)
      >
      > > N.B: The official "legal" ways to do things are so often hideously
      > > hidden and impossible to remember how to get at, that directly editing
      > > the source often is the easiest way to do things.
      > >
      > > Axel
      >
      > The wizard(s) who solved this last time I think had us open something
      > from the command line ... I just don't remember. It was not easy, but
      > it worked! I'll dig into the registry and see what I can find there.

      Trying to figure this out again. Sherri had the answer last time ... how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer window?
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 8 , May 20, 2009
        Hi Don,

        On 20 May 09 06:42 "dpasseng" <don@...> said:
        > how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer
        > window?

        Unless you've customised things in some way, click the FOLDERS button
        on the toolbar. (But that's so obvious I must be misunderstanding the
        question!)

        Greg
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 20, 2009
          I probably asked wrong causing your puzzlement :-).

          While when in office applications I can click tools/add to my places.

          When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left ...
          but no way I see to change which folders are in there. I know there is
          a way ... but I don't remember how.

          I am on XP

          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > Hi Don,
          >
          > On 20 May 09 06:42 "dpasseng" <don@...> said:
          >> how do I get a folder to the left side of the windows explorer
          >> window?
          >
          > Unless you've customised things in some way, click the FOLDERS button
          > on the toolbar. (But that's so obvious I must be misunderstanding the
          > question!)
          >
          > Greg

        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2009
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left ...
            > but no way I see to change which folders are in there.

            For XP, Google TweakUI.

            john
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2009
              Hi Don,

              On 20 May 09 12:32 "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said:
              > When saving a file in notetab, there is a set of folders to the left
              > ... but no way I see to change which folders are in there. I know
              > there is a way ... but I don't remember how.
              >
              > I am on XP

              I also am on XP. I have Microsoft's free utility "TweakUI" installed.
              That has a facility, under the "Common Dialogs" branch that allows
              editing of the Places Bar. I've never used it but I believe it will
              do what you want.

              Greg
            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2009
                Don,

                Its funny because I just ran into this 2 days ago. I saw this on a demo of
                something and was like WHAT??? Because I never knew there was a way to
                customize it.

                What Don is talking about (if I can help to explain. maybe).

                1. Working on a file you click Files > Save As

                2. Dialog box comes up and on the left you see My documents, My
                Computer and a few other 'shortcuts'

                3. How does one customize this to add your own 'special'
                location(s)???

                Thanks for asking Don, I can't WAIT for a fix J