Re: Windows shortcut to show screen saver?

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2009
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
      > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,
      >
      > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
      >
      > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
      > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
      > suggestions are also welcome.
      >
      > Lotta

      If you have Wizmo or NIRCMD you can turn on the screen saver with a short one line script. Either command line program can be found by doing a quick Google and both are free.

      However to mask what you're currently doing wouldn't Show Desktop work for you?

      john
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2009
        Thanks a lot, guys. I wasn't aware you could start a screen saver
        that way. To my defence I never use them, well, I let the default one
        stay there on this machine. Neither was I aware there was a login
        screen, never saw the thing before. I'll check out Wizmo or NIRCMD
        too. I actually liked all options, so I don't know what I'll end up
        using. Choices, choices... ;-)

        Thanks again.
        Lotta
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2009
          It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
          been locked" screen.

          It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
          everything is still running.

          The screen saver will come on in the normal time.

          This is the "correct" way to hide what you're doing, as it activates
          security on the computer. Just showing the screen saver leaves you
          vulnerable to going back to the main screen with an accidental bump of the
          mouse or the keyboard.

          Regards, Dave S

          > That gets me to the log-in screen, and does not activate the screen saver.
          > -mb
          > www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          >

          >> loro wrote:
          >> > Hi,
          >> >
          >> > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
          >> > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
          >> about it,
          >> >
          >> > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
          >> >
          >> > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
          >> > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
          >> > suggestions are also welcome.
          >> >
          >> > Lotta
          >> >

          >> avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com>: Inbound message clean.
          >>
          >> Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
          >> Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:48:23 AM
          >>

          > --
          >

          > Morgantown WV
          >
          > www.EpicRoadTrips.us

          16:14:00
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2009
            David Smart wrote:
            >It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
            >been locked" screen.
            >
            >It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
            >everything is still running.

            Nope. I just have to click my account name and I'm back. My computer
            is set up so I never have to log in. I guess that's why I haven't
            seen this screen before.

            Lotta
          • MotoMania
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2009
              You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
              a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
              Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
              said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
              able to look at everything that was running.

              Mick

              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                MotoMania wrote:
                >You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                >a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                >Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                >said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                >able to look at everything that was running.

                It isn't that advanced or important. I just want to hide it from
                people glancing over my shoulder. ;-)