Re: [NTO] Windows shortcut to show screen saver?

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2009
      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/liu1.mspx

      Instantly Activate a Screensaver
      Published: June 4, 2001

      Submitted by Lee Liu, Toronto, Ontario

      Turn on a screensaver without having to wait by adding a shortcut to
      your desktop:

      1.Click the Start button, and then click Search.

      2.In the Search Companion window, click All file types.

      3.In the file name box, type *.scr

      4.In the Look in box, choose Local Hard Drives (C:) or the drive where
      you have system files stored on your computer.

      5.Click Search.

      6.You will see a list of screensavers in the results. Pick a screensaver
      you want. You can preview it by double-clicking it.

      7.Right click on the file, choose Send To, and then click Desktop
      (create shortcut).

      To activate the screensaver, double-click the icon on your desktop.

      loro wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
      > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
      > about it,
      >
      > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
      >
      > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
      > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
      > suggestions are also welcome.
      >
      > Lotta

      > Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
      > Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:13:47 AM

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2009
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
        > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,
        >
        > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
        >
        > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
        > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
        > suggestions are also welcome.
        >
        > Lotta

        If you have Wizmo or NIRCMD you can turn on the screen saver with a short one line script. Either command line program can be found by doing a quick Google and both are free.

        However to mask what you're currently doing wouldn't Show Desktop work for you?

        john
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2009
          Thanks a lot, guys. I wasn't aware you could start a screen saver
          that way. To my defence I never use them, well, I let the default one
          stay there on this machine. Neither was I aware there was a login
          screen, never saw the thing before. I'll check out Wizmo or NIRCMD
          too. I actually liked all options, so I don't know what I'll end up
          using. Choices, choices... ;-)

          Thanks again.
          Lotta
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2009
            It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
            been locked" screen.

            It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
            everything is still running.

            The screen saver will come on in the normal time.

            This is the "correct" way to hide what you're doing, as it activates
            security on the computer. Just showing the screen saver leaves you
            vulnerable to going back to the main screen with an accidental bump of the
            mouse or the keyboard.

            Regards, Dave S

            > That gets me to the log-in screen, and does not activate the screen saver.
            > -mb
            > www.EpicRoadTrips.us
            >

            >> loro wrote:
            >> > Hi,
            >> >
            >> > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
            >> > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
            >> about it,
            >> >
            >> > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
            >> >
            >> > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
            >> > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
            >> > suggestions are also welcome.
            >> >
            >> > Lotta
            >> >

            >> avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com>: Inbound message clean.
            >>
            >> Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
            >> Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:48:23 AM
            >>

            > --
            >

            > Morgantown WV
            >
            > www.EpicRoadTrips.us

            16:14:00
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2009
              David Smart wrote:
              >It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
              >been locked" screen.
              >
              >It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
              >everything is still running.

              Nope. I just have to click my account name and I'm back. My computer
              is set up so I never have to log in. I guess that's why I haven't
              seen this screen before.

              Lotta
            • MotoMania
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                able to look at everything that was running.

                Mick

                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                  MotoMania wrote:
                  >You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                  >a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                  >Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                  >said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                  >able to look at everything that was running.

                  It isn't that advanced or important. I just want to hide it from
                  people glancing over my shoulder. ;-)