Re: [NTO] Windows shortcut to show screen saver?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2009
      windows key + L

      is that what you meant?

      loro wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
      > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,
      >
      > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
      >
      > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
      > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
      > suggestions are also welcome.
      >
      > Lotta

    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2009
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
        > windows key + L
        >
        > is that what you meant?

        That gets me to the log-in screen, and does not activate the screen saver.
        -mb
        www.EpicRoadTrips.us

        > loro wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
        > > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
        > about it,
        > >
        > > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
        > >
        > > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
        > > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
        > > suggestions are also welcome.
        > >
        > > Lotta

        > Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
        > Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:48:23 AM

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2009
          http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/liu1.mspx

          Instantly Activate a Screensaver
          Published: June 4, 2001

          Submitted by Lee Liu, Toronto, Ontario

          Turn on a screensaver without having to wait by adding a shortcut to
          your desktop:

          1.Click the Start button, and then click Search.

          2.In the Search Companion window, click All file types.

          3.In the file name box, type *.scr

          4.In the Look in box, choose Local Hard Drives (C:) or the drive where
          you have system files stored on your computer.

          5.Click Search.

          6.You will see a list of screensavers in the results. Pick a screensaver
          you want. You can preview it by double-clicking it.

          7.Right click on the file, choose Send To, and then click Desktop
          (create shortcut).

          To activate the screensaver, double-click the icon on your desktop.

          loro wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
          > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
          > about it,
          >
          > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
          >
          > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
          > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
          > suggestions are also welcome.
          >
          > Lotta

          > Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
          > Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:13:47 AM

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2009
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
            > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,
            >
            > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
            >
            > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
            > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
            > suggestions are also welcome.
            >
            > Lotta

            If you have Wizmo or NIRCMD you can turn on the screen saver with a short one line script. Either command line program can be found by doing a quick Google and both are free.

            However to mask what you're currently doing wouldn't Show Desktop work for you?

            john
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2009
              Thanks a lot, guys. I wasn't aware you could start a screen saver
              that way. To my defence I never use them, well, I let the default one
              stay there on this machine. Neither was I aware there was a login
              screen, never saw the thing before. I'll check out Wizmo or NIRCMD
              too. I actually liked all options, so I don't know what I'll end up
              using. Choices, choices... ;-)

              Thanks again.
              Lotta
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
                been locked" screen.

                It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
                everything is still running.

                The screen saver will come on in the normal time.

                This is the "correct" way to hide what you're doing, as it activates
                security on the computer. Just showing the screen saver leaves you
                vulnerable to going back to the main screen with an accidental bump of the
                mouse or the keyboard.

                Regards, Dave S

                > That gets me to the log-in screen, and does not activate the screen saver.
                > -mb
                > www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                >

                >> loro wrote:
                >> > Hi,
                >> >
                >> > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
                >> > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
                >> about it,
                >> >
                >> > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
                >> >
                >> > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
                >> > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
                >> > suggestions are also welcome.
                >> >
                >> > Lotta
                >> >

                >> avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com>: Inbound message clean.
                >>
                >> Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
                >> Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:48:23 AM
                >>

                > --
                >

                > Morgantown WV
                >
                > www.EpicRoadTrips.us

                16:14:00
                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                  David Smart wrote:
                  >It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
                  >been locked" screen.
                  >
                  >It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
                  >everything is still running.

                  Nope. I just have to click my account name and I'm back. My computer
                  is set up so I never have to log in. I guess that's why I haven't
                  seen this screen before.

                  Lotta
                • MotoMania
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                    You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                    a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                    Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                    said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                    able to look at everything that was running.

                    Mick

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                      MotoMania wrote:
                      >You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                      >a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                      >Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                      >said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                      >able to look at everything that was running.

                      It isn't that advanced or important. I just want to hide it from
                      people glancing over my shoulder. ;-)