Windows shortcut to show screen saver?

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2009
      Hi,

      I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
      force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,

      Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?

      I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
      I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
      suggestions are also welcome.

      Lotta
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2009
        Hi
        One thought if you have one of the new keyboards it will have excess keys
        there is usually a few spare mine has five fav. ,or you could do a shortcut
        straight to the screensaver it self ??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
        > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about
        > it,
        >
        > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
        >
        > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
        > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
        > suggestions are also welcome.
        >
        > Lotta

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2009
          windows key + L

          is that what you meant?

          loro wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
          > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,
          >
          > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
          >
          > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
          > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
          > suggestions are also welcome.
          >
          > Lotta

        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2009
            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            > windows key + L
            >
            > is that what you meant?

            That gets me to the log-in screen, and does not activate the screen saver.
            -mb
            www.EpicRoadTrips.us

            > loro wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
            > > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
            > about it,
            > >
            > > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
            > >
            > > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
            > > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
            > > suggestions are also welcome.
            > >
            > > Lotta

            > Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
            > Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:48:23 AM

            Morgantown WV

            www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2009
              http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/liu1.mspx

              Instantly Activate a Screensaver
              Published: June 4, 2001

              Submitted by Lee Liu, Toronto, Ontario

              Turn on a screensaver without having to wait by adding a shortcut to
              your desktop:

              1.Click the Start button, and then click Search.

              2.In the Search Companion window, click All file types.

              3.In the file name box, type *.scr

              4.In the Look in box, choose Local Hard Drives (C:) or the drive where
              you have system files stored on your computer.

              5.Click Search.

              6.You will see a list of screensavers in the results. Pick a screensaver
              you want. You can preview it by double-clicking it.

              7.Right click on the file, choose Send To, and then click Desktop
              (create shortcut).

              To activate the screensaver, double-click the icon on your desktop.

              loro wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
              > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
              > about it,
              >
              > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
              >
              > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
              > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
              > suggestions are also welcome.
              >
              > Lotta

              > Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
              > Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:13:47 AM

              Morgantown WV

              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
            • John Zeman
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
                > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything about it,
                >
                > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
                >
                > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
                > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
                > suggestions are also welcome.
                >
                > Lotta

                If you have Wizmo or NIRCMD you can turn on the screen saver with a short one line script. Either command line program can be found by doing a quick Google and both are free.

                However to mask what you're currently doing wouldn't Show Desktop work for you?

                john
                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                  Thanks a lot, guys. I wasn't aware you could start a screen saver
                  that way. To my defence I never use them, well, I let the default one
                  stay there on this machine. Neither was I aware there was a login
                  screen, never saw the thing before. I'll check out Wizmo or NIRCMD
                  too. I actually liked all options, so I don't know what I'll end up
                  using. Choices, choices... ;-)

                  Thanks again.
                  Lotta
                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                    It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
                    been locked" screen.

                    It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
                    everything is still running.

                    The screen saver will come on in the normal time.

                    This is the "correct" way to hide what you're doing, as it activates
                    security on the computer. Just showing the screen saver leaves you
                    vulnerable to going back to the main screen with an accidental bump of the
                    mouse or the keyboard.

                    Regards, Dave S

                    > That gets me to the log-in screen, and does not activate the screen saver.
                    > -mb
                    > www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                    >

                    >> loro wrote:
                    >> > Hi,
                    >> >
                    >> > I have in the back of my head that there is a general shortcut to
                    >> > force the computer into screen saver mode, but I don't find anything
                    >> about it,
                    >> >
                    >> > Is there such a shortcut? If not, can I create one myself?
                    >> >
                    >> > I haven't had any need to hide what I'm doing before. Now I have and
                    >> > I thought turning on the screen saver would be handy, but any other
                    >> > suggestions are also welcome.
                    >> >
                    >> > Lotta
                    >> >

                    >> avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com>: Inbound message clean.
                    >>
                    >> Virus Database (VPS): 090511-0, 05/11/2009
                    >> Tested on: 5/12/2009 11:48:23 AM
                    >>

                    > --
                    >

                    > Morgantown WV
                    >
                    > www.EpicRoadTrips.us

                    16:14:00
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                      David Smart wrote:
                      >It's probably actually taking you to the "This computer is in use and has
                      >been locked" screen.
                      >
                      >It empties the screen and requires the password to reactivate, although
                      >everything is still running.

                      Nope. I just have to click my account name and I'm back. My computer
                      is set up so I never have to log in. I guess that's why I haven't
                      seen this screen before.

                      Lotta
                    • MotoMania
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                        You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                        a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                        Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                        said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                        able to look at everything that was running.

                        Mick

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 12, 2009
                          MotoMania wrote:
                          >You said originally that you wanted to hide what you were doing. Without
                          >a password setup for your account and doing as suggested with "Windows
                          >Key + L" there is now way to *truly* hide what was going on. As you
                          >said, all someone needs to do is click on your account name and they're
                          >able to look at everything that was running.

                          It isn't that advanced or important. I just want to hide it from
                          people glancing over my shoulder. ;-)