Computer's Maintenance Programs

  • M.M.
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
      Hello,
      There are some 'Computer's Maintenance Programs' I found on the net, and I
      would like to "adopt" one, but first I would like to ask
      you some opinion about any of these, (if you were/are useing some), I read
      some reviews, but you know... or if there are some doing the job better.
      The list order is at random
      1. TuneUp Utilities
      2. AShampoo WinOptimizer
      3. PCTools DesktopMaestro
      Your answers will be much appreciated
      Thanks
      Mordechai

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
        "M.M." wrote:
        > first I would like to ask you some opinion about any of these,

        Not on your list: jv16 tools

        Does registry scan, registry search and replace (very handy
        sometimes), can do a regisry before and after compare when
        installing programs, although I always forget to start that
        beforehand, and quite a few less helpful things.

        Axel
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
          M.M. wrote:
          > Hello,
          > There are some 'Computer's Maintenance Programs' I found on the net, and I
          > would like to "adopt" one, but first I would like to ask
          > you some opinion about any of these, (if you were/are useing some), I read
          > some reviews, but you know... or if there are some doing the job better.
          > The list order is at random
          > 1. TuneUp Utilities
          > 2. AShampoo WinOptimizer
          > 3. PCTools DesktopMaestro
          > Your answers will be much appreciated
          > Thanks
          > Mordechai
          I have never heard of any of these.

          I find that ccleaner does a good job of eliminating cruft and jkdefrag
          does a better job at defragmenting than the built in Windows
          defragmenter. I also use pagedefrag to keep the page file optimized.

          Registry optimizers seem to hurt rather than help on 2000 and newer, so
          I recommend they not be run on a regular basis. As always a backup of
          the registry to fall back to is a go idea, in case the "optimization"
          reduces performance.

          ~ Larry Hamilton