Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
      Axel Berger wrote:

      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
      >
      > Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
      > unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
      > electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
      > the same room and only feet away from the working computer.

      I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data back-up.
      But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you describe above.

      I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
      The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web server.
      But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web site gets
      wiped and all is lost.
      Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.
      -mb

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
        I found myself doing something similar and thought about what a fire would
        do.

        What I did is to buy two identical 2 1/2 inch 250GB external drives in USB
        enclosures. One lives at the office and the other one is attached to my
        computer where it takes an auto backup of almost everything once per day.
        Every three or four weeks, I take the home one to work and bring the work
        one home. This means that I have a daily backup that isn't actually inside
        the computer, plus a monthly backup in a different location, for very little
        effort.

        I also carry a 16GB USB stick on my key ring that transports my current data
        files for use on other computers. This has the secondary benefit of being
        an "almost offsite" data backup that is completely up to date.

        About the only thing I don't back up is software installations and
        installation disks. I can get new versions of these easily enough. (If the
        installation disks get destroyed, then so does the computer, and probably
        the house. I'll get new installation disks when I replace the computer.)

        Regards, Dave S