Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 20 3:41 AM
      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      > Great idea to take a picture.
      >
      > I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
      > ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
      > days for them to arrive.

      Several years ago I started making copies of my Windows and Application
      CDs along with product keys.
      I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
      If nothing else, it is some cheap peace of mind and less hassle if the
      original CDs are no where to be found when you really need them.

      -Mike
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 20 5:04 AM
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.

        Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
        unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
        electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
        the same room and only feet away from the working computer. Thus
        there are many scenarios possible getting at all of them, fire being
        just one. I've felt bad about that for ages but never enough to
        really do something.

        And, to be honest, a standard mass produced OS license, even if not
        at all cheap, is the least of my concerns.

        Axel
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 20 5:26 AM
          Axel Berger wrote:

          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
          >
          > Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
          > unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
          > electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
          > the same room and only feet away from the working computer.

          I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data back-up.
          But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you describe above.

          I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
          The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web server.
          But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web site gets
          wiped and all is lost.
          Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.
          -mb

          --

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 20 5:43 AM
            I found myself doing something similar and thought about what a fire would
            do.

            What I did is to buy two identical 2 1/2 inch 250GB external drives in USB
            enclosures. One lives at the office and the other one is attached to my
            computer where it takes an auto backup of almost everything once per day.
            Every three or four weeks, I take the home one to work and bring the work
            one home. This means that I have a daily backup that isn't actually inside
            the computer, plus a monthly backup in a different location, for very little
            effort.

            I also carry a 16GB USB stick on my key ring that transports my current data
            files for use on other computers. This has the secondary benefit of being
            an "almost offsite" data backup that is completely up to date.

            About the only thing I don't back up is software installations and
            installation disks. I can get new versions of these easily enough. (If the
            installation disks get destroyed, then so does the computer, and probably
            the house. I'll get new installation disks when I replace the computer.)

            Regards, Dave S