Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
      Great idea to take a picture.

      I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
      ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
      days for them to arrive.

      > In my opinion the value is in those Product Key stickers anyway. I
      > suggest to your acquaintance (and anybody) to take a digital picture of
      > such sticker, and save it along with other important data.
      > The notebook I'm writing this on had to be taken in for service, and
      > somehow its Windows sticker had disappeared. Fortunately I happened to
      > have taken a picture of it (and the hardware serial number), in case the
      > computer should be stolen at a computer fair. Moreover, it is far easier
      > to read and re-enter such key from a picture than from the bottom side
      > of the computer you're reviving...

    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
        > Great idea to take a picture.
        >
        > I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
        > ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
        > days for them to arrive.

        Several years ago I started making copies of my Windows and Application
        CDs along with product keys.
        I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
        If nothing else, it is some cheap peace of mind and less hassle if the
        original CDs are no where to be found when you really need them.

        -Mike
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.

          Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
          unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
          electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
          the same room and only feet away from the working computer. Thus
          there are many scenarios possible getting at all of them, fire being
          just one. I've felt bad about that for ages but never enough to
          really do something.

          And, to be honest, a standard mass produced OS license, even if not
          at all cheap, is the least of my concerns.

          Axel
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
            Axel Berger wrote:

            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
            >
            > Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
            > unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
            > electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
            > the same room and only feet away from the working computer.

            I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data back-up.
            But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you describe above.

            I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
            The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web server.
            But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web site gets
            wiped and all is lost.
            Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.
            -mb

            --

            Morgantown WV

            www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
              I found myself doing something similar and thought about what a fire would
              do.

              What I did is to buy two identical 2 1/2 inch 250GB external drives in USB
              enclosures. One lives at the office and the other one is attached to my
              computer where it takes an auto backup of almost everything once per day.
              Every three or four weeks, I take the home one to work and bring the work
              one home. This means that I have a daily backup that isn't actually inside
              the computer, plus a monthly backup in a different location, for very little
              effort.

              I also carry a 16GB USB stick on my key ring that transports my current data
              files for use on other computers. This has the secondary benefit of being
              an "almost offsite" data backup that is completely up to date.

              About the only thing I don't back up is software installations and
              installation disks. I can get new versions of these easily enough. (If the
              installation disks get destroyed, then so does the computer, and probably
              the house. I'll get new installation disks when I replace the computer.)

              Regards, Dave S