Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

  • Chris Laarman
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
      On Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:06 PM [GMT+1=CET],
      Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the response!

      :-)

      > In both cases, pressing F11 is suppose to engage the recovery
      > software, but nothing happens. In one case (Gateway laptop) the
      > computer is suppose to prompt you to do this, but doesn't.
      > In the case of the Dell desktop, it just doesn't work.

      Then the previous user may have repartitioned the drives, sacrificing
      the recovery partitions, or he may have replaced the drives, or.... That
      company might even have those recovery disks (created from the
      partitions) about to be disposed of.

      By the way, I once had a Dell (my most expensive mistake), and the
      recovery was contained in some directory rather than partition.
      Something like C:\Windows\Options. (Windows ME, can't check it anymore)

      In my opinion the value is in those Product Key stickers anyway. I
      suggest to your acquaintance (and anybody) to take a digital picture of
      such sticker, and save it along with other important data.
      The notebook I'm writing this on had to be taken in for service, and
      somehow its Windows sticker had disappeared. Fortunately I happened to
      have taken a picture of it (and the hardware serial number), in case the
      computer should be stolen at a computer fair. Moreover, it is far easier
      to read and re-enter such key from a picture than from the bottom side
      of the computer you're reviving...

      --
      Chris Laarman
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
        Great idea to take a picture.

        I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
        ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
        days for them to arrive.

        > In my opinion the value is in those Product Key stickers anyway. I
        > suggest to your acquaintance (and anybody) to take a digital picture of
        > such sticker, and save it along with other important data.
        > The notebook I'm writing this on had to be taken in for service, and
        > somehow its Windows sticker had disappeared. Fortunately I happened to
        > have taken a picture of it (and the hardware serial number), in case the
        > computer should be stolen at a computer fair. Moreover, it is far easier
        > to read and re-enter such key from a picture than from the bottom side
        > of the computer you're reviving...

      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          > Great idea to take a picture.
          >
          > I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
          > ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
          > days for them to arrive.

          Several years ago I started making copies of my Windows and Application
          CDs along with product keys.
          I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
          If nothing else, it is some cheap peace of mind and less hassle if the
          original CDs are no where to be found when you really need them.

          -Mike
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.

            Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
            unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
            electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
            the same room and only feet away from the working computer. Thus
            there are many scenarios possible getting at all of them, fire being
            just one. I've felt bad about that for ages but never enough to
            really do something.

            And, to be honest, a standard mass produced OS license, even if not
            at all cheap, is the least of my concerns.

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
              Axel Berger wrote:

              > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
              >
              > Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
              > unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
              > electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
              > the same room and only feet away from the working computer.

              I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data back-up.
              But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you describe above.

              I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
              The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web server.
              But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web site gets
              wiped and all is lost.
              Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.
              -mb

              --

              Morgantown WV

              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                I found myself doing something similar and thought about what a fire would
                do.

                What I did is to buy two identical 2 1/2 inch 250GB external drives in USB
                enclosures. One lives at the office and the other one is attached to my
                computer where it takes an auto backup of almost everything once per day.
                Every three or four weeks, I take the home one to work and bring the work
                one home. This means that I have a daily backup that isn't actually inside
                the computer, plus a monthly backup in a different location, for very little
                effort.

                I also carry a 16GB USB stick on my key ring that transports my current data
                files for use on other computers. This has the secondary benefit of being
                an "almost offsite" data backup that is completely up to date.

                About the only thing I don't back up is software installations and
                installation disks. I can get new versions of these easily enough. (If the
                installation disks get destroyed, then so does the computer, and probably
                the house. I'll get new installation disks when I replace the computer.)

                Regards, Dave S