Re: [NTO] Re-installing Windows

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > In a word - no.
      > You probably have a single machine licence.

      I believe you've got that backwords. Vance has got three licences,
      one for every machine. The installation CDs are mass produced and
      all the same anyway. The only possibility might be a different
      version, but the test vor a valid license number should catch that.

      So totally legal, IMHO, but that's not worth a lot.

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
        Axel Berger wrote:

        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > > In a word - no.
        > > You probably have a single machine licence.

        I was referring to the CD/Key Vance has. It is one license. No?

        I don't think you can use the same key for different licenses.

        > I believe you've got that backwords. Vance has got three licences,
        > one for every machine. The installation CDs are mass produced and
        > all the same anyway. The only possibility might be a different
        > version, but the test vor a valid license number should catch that.

        I have tried rescue disk from one Dell to another Dell and they would
        not install. So, it can get complicated - and frustrating.
        -Mike
      • Vance E. Neff
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
          Chris,

          Thanks for the response!

          In both cases, pressing F11 is suppose to engage the recovery software,
          but nothing happens. In one case (Gateway laptop) the computer is
          suppose to prompt you to do this, but doesn't.
          In the case of the Dell desktop, it just doesn't work.

          Vance

          Chris Laarman wrote:
          > On Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:34 PM [GMT+1=CET],
          > Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:
          >

          >> This is totally off topic!
          >>
          >> I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
          >> company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
          >> disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
          >> Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.
          >>
          >> My question is this:
          >> Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
          >> computers but register them using the Windows product key code
          >> attached to the computers?
          >>

          > 1) In my opinion the product key matters, not the source of the
          > distribution files.
          >
          > 2) Computers may have rescue partitions on their (original) hard disks,
          > instead of coming with removable media. These would be accessed by
          > pressing a certain key upon boot-up (similar to entering the ROM
          > settings).
          > It would be possible to create recovery disks from (within) such rescue
          > partition.
          > You could search the Web for the brands, types and probably a word like
          > "rescue" in order to find out about rescue partitions and accessing
          > them.

        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
            There seems to be some uncertainty over your question, so to clarify ...

            You have one XP CD?
            You have three XP licence keys (one for your current computer and one on
            each of the bought computers)?

            If that is the case, then the legality should be fine. XP CDs are
            mass-produced and don't have installation-specific information in them.

            However, XP keys are relative to specific XP editions, I think. You might
            find that the keys that the purchased computers have will not be accepted by
            the XP installation from your CD. If so, you need to find someone with an
            XP CD of the appropriate version.

            Also, look on the hard disks of the purchased computers before doing any
            reinstalling. Many computers now come with the operating system
            installation on a hard disk partition or in a directory on C:. The user
            guide for the computers involved should be able to be downloaded from the
            Web and will presumably talk about reinstallation.

            In addition, do contact the computers' manufacturer for advice. They might
            be able to provide copies of recovery disks for a nominal sum. Or the
            recovery disks might even be able to be downloaded from the Web.

            Regards, Dave S

            > I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
            > company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
            > disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
            > Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.
            >
            > My question is this:
            > Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
            > computers but register them using the Windows product key code attached
            > to the computers?
            >

            > Thanks in advance for the info!
            > Vance

          • Chris Laarman
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
              On Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:06 PM [GMT+1=CET],
              Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the response!

              :-)

              > In both cases, pressing F11 is suppose to engage the recovery
              > software, but nothing happens. In one case (Gateway laptop) the
              > computer is suppose to prompt you to do this, but doesn't.
              > In the case of the Dell desktop, it just doesn't work.

              Then the previous user may have repartitioned the drives, sacrificing
              the recovery partitions, or he may have replaced the drives, or.... That
              company might even have those recovery disks (created from the
              partitions) about to be disposed of.

              By the way, I once had a Dell (my most expensive mistake), and the
              recovery was contained in some directory rather than partition.
              Something like C:\Windows\Options. (Windows ME, can't check it anymore)

              In my opinion the value is in those Product Key stickers anyway. I
              suggest to your acquaintance (and anybody) to take a digital picture of
              such sticker, and save it along with other important data.
              The notebook I'm writing this on had to be taken in for service, and
              somehow its Windows sticker had disappeared. Fortunately I happened to
              have taken a picture of it (and the hardware serial number), in case the
              computer should be stolen at a computer fair. Moreover, it is far easier
              to read and re-enter such key from a picture than from the bottom side
              of the computer you're reviving...

              --
              Chris Laarman
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                Great idea to take a picture.

                I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
                ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
                days for them to arrive.

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                  > Great idea to take a picture.
                  >
                  > I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
                  > ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
                  > days for them to arrive.

                  Several years ago I started making copies of my Windows and Application
                  CDs along with product keys.
                  I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
                  If nothing else, it is some cheap peace of mind and less hassle if the
                  original CDs are no where to be found when you really need them.

                  -Mike
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.

                    Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
                    unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
                    electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
                    the same room and only feet away from the working computer. Thus
                    there are many scenarios possible getting at all of them, fire being
                    just one. I've felt bad about that for ages but never enough to
                    really do something.

                    And, to be honest, a standard mass produced OS license, even if not
                    at all cheap, is the least of my concerns.

                    Axel
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                      Axel Berger wrote:

                      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      > > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
                      >
                      > Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
                      > unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
                      > electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
                      > the same room and only feet away from the working computer.

                      I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data back-up.
                      But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you describe above.

                      I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
                      The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web server.
                      But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web site gets
                      wiped and all is lost.
                      Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.
                      -mb

                      --

                      Morgantown WV

                      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                        I found myself doing something similar and thought about what a fire would
                        do.

                        What I did is to buy two identical 2 1/2 inch 250GB external drives in USB
                        enclosures. One lives at the office and the other one is attached to my
                        computer where it takes an auto backup of almost everything once per day.
                        Every three or four weeks, I take the home one to work and bring the work
                        one home. This means that I have a daily backup that isn't actually inside
                        the computer, plus a monthly backup in a different location, for very little
                        effort.

                        I also carry a 16GB USB stick on my key ring that transports my current data
                        files for use on other computers. This has the secondary benefit of being
                        an "almost offsite" data backup that is completely up to date.

                        About the only thing I don't back up is software installations and
                        installation disks. I can get new versions of these easily enough. (If the
                        installation disks get destroyed, then so does the computer, and probably
                        the house. I'll get new installation disks when I replace the computer.)

                        Regards, Dave S