Re: [NTO] offline search

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
      Vance E. Neff wrote:
      > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to locate a
      > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
      > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
      >
      > Vance

      Assuming you have the documents open, you can do them one at a time with
      control F of course.
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

        > Vance E. Neff wrote:
        > > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to
        locate a
        > > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
        > > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
        > >
        > > Vance
        > >
        > I would use my old friend Agent Ransack (originally discovered
        > and recommended by Jody) to find files that contain matching
        > text. The search can, but doesn't have to, use regular
        > expressions. A/R will show a list of matching files, and for
        > each, a little of each line of matching text. If I don't get
        > enough info from the cited text, I would double click the file
        > name to open it in Firefox and use Firefox's "find" to locate the
        > desired occurrence.
        >
        > <http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/>

        If you like this I think it would be easy to make a html document out
        of the results, open it in firefox and have a hyperlinked copy of the
        results where you could click the file names to open them.

        I'm 90% there with little effort.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • jeff
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
          Hey cousin, Use Control + F?

          Jeff Scism

          Vance E. Neff wrote:

          > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to locate a
          > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
          > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
          >
          > Vance
          >
          > sisterscape wrote:
          >
          > >Couldn't you use NoteTab's "search disk" function? I use it all the
          > time to find specific references in multiple files.
          > >

          > >--- On Tue, 2/24/09, Vance E. Neff <veneff@...
          > <mailto:veneff%40intouchmi.com>> wrote:
          > >

          > >>From: Vance E. Neff <veneff@...
          > <mailto:veneff%40intouchmi.com>>
          > >>Subject: Re: [NTO] offline search
          > >>To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
          > >>Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 2:11 PM
          > >>Alec,
          > >>
          > >>I tried Windows Search because it was an optional update
          > >>and found it so
          > >>unmanageable that I uninstalled it. I'll check into
          > >>Google Desktop Search.
          > >>The offline websites I was talking about are generally
          > >>multi-page HTML
          > >>manuals.
          > >>
          > >>Thanks!
          > >>Vance

          > (in part) (on
          > >>>

          > >>2009-02-24 at

          > >>will allow me to

          > >>at the currently

          > >>but with dial up, I

          > >>Search (or Windows

        • Vance E. Neff
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
            That only works on the current page, not subsequent pages.

            Vance

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
              I suppose you could search for the term, find all pages with it in it,
              replace it with <span style="whateverstyle youwant like colored
              background: red">search term</spam>

              With, or without saving the pages, open them in firefox and enjoy them ...

              Vance E. Neff wrote:
              > That only works on the current page, not subsequent pages.
              >
              > Vance
              >
              > jeff wrote:
              >
              >> Hey cousin, Use Control + F?
              >>
              >> Jeff Scism

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

                > That only works on the current page, not subsequent pages.
                >
                > Vance

                You can configure Firefox so it starts searching the current page as
                soon as you start typing (no need for Ctrl+F). If you hit alt-A it
                highlights all hits. And if you activate or open another another
                tab/page, you can alt-A to highlights all its hits. Or F3 to find
                next. Its not like you have to keep reentering the search term.

                Regards,
                Sheri