Re: [NTO] offline search

  • Vance E. Neff
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
      Alec,

      I tried Windows Search because it was an optional update and found it so
      unmanageable that I uninstalled it. I'll check into Google Desktop Search.
      The offline websites I was talking about are generally multi-page HTML
      manuals.

      Thanks!
      Vance

      Alec Burgess wrote:

      >veneffy (veneff@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-02-24 at
      >08:41):
      >

      >> I have been looking for an add on for firefox that will allow me to
      >> search for a term in my offline website starting at the currently
      >> displayed page.
      >> I was looking at the list of search add on entries but with dial up, I
      >> can't get through them all.
      >> Any suggestions?
      >>

      >Not a Firefox add-on, but wouldn't Google Desktop Search (or Windows
      >Search) do what you want?

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
        Couldn't you use NoteTab's "search disk" function? I use it all the time to find specific references in multiple files.

        > I tried Windows Search because it was an optional update
        > and found it so
        > unmanageable that I uninstalled it. I'll check into
        > Google Desktop Search.
        > The offline websites I was talking about are generally
        > multi-page HTML
        > manuals.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Vance
        >
        > Alec Burgess wrote:
        >
        > >veneffy (veneff@...) wrote (in part) (on
        > 2009-02-24 at
        > >08:41):
        > >

        > >> I have been looking for an add on for firefox that
        > will allow me to
        > >> search for a term in my offline website starting
        > at the currently
        > >> displayed page.
        > >> I was looking at the list of search add on entries
        > but with dial up, I
        > >> can't get through them all.
        > >> Any suggestions?
        > >>

        > >Not a Firefox add-on, but wouldn't Google Desktop
        > Search (or Windows
        > >Search) do what you want?

      • Vance E. Neff
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
          But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to locate a
          referenced term in the document which probably should have been
          hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).

          Vance

          sisterscape wrote:

          >Couldn't you use NoteTab's "search disk" function? I use it all the time to find specific references in multiple files.

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
            Vance E. Neff wrote:
            > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to locate a
            > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
            > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
            >
            > Vance

            I would use my old friend Agent Ransack (originally discovered and
            recommended by Jody) to find files that contain matching text. The
            search can, but doesn't have to, use regular expressions. A/R will show
            a list of matching files, and for each, a little of each line of
            matching text. If I don't get enough info from the cited text, I would
            double click the file name to open it in Firefox and use Firefox's
            "find" to locate the desired occurrence.

            <http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/>

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
              If the files are offline they have to be stored somewhere on your computer. I'd try using NoteTab to search the Firefox folder where that data is stored.

              > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want
              > to locate a
              > referenced term in the document which probably should have
              > been
              > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the
              > document).
              >
              > Vance
              >
              > sisterscape wrote:
              >
              > >Couldn't you use NoteTab's "search
              > disk" function? I use it all the time to find specific
              > references in multiple files.
              > >

              > >--- On Tue, 2/24/09, Vance E. Neff
              > <veneff@...> wrote:
              > >

              > >>From: Vance E. Neff <veneff@...>
              > >>Subject: Re: [NTO] offline search
              > >>To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
              > >>Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 2:11 PM
              > >>Alec,
              > >>
              > >>I tried Windows Search because it was an optional
              > update
              > >>and found it so
              > >>unmanageable that I uninstalled it. I'll check
              > into
              > >>Google Desktop Search.
              > >>The offline websites I was talking about are
              > generally
              > >>multi-page HTML
              > >>manuals.
              > >>
              > >>Thanks!
              > >>Vance

              > (on
              > >>>

              > >>2009-02-24 at

              > firefox that
              > >>>>

              > >>will allow me to

              > starting
              > >>>>

              > >>at the currently

              > entries
              > >>>>

              > >>but with dial up, I

              > Desktop
              > >>>

              > >>Search (or Windows

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                Vance E. Neff wrote:
                > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to locate a
                > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
                > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
                >
                > Vance

                Assuming you have the documents open, you can do them one at a time with
                control F of course.
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                  > Vance E. Neff wrote:
                  > > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to
                  locate a
                  > > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
                  > > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
                  > >
                  > > Vance
                  > >
                  > I would use my old friend Agent Ransack (originally discovered
                  > and recommended by Jody) to find files that contain matching
                  > text. The search can, but doesn't have to, use regular
                  > expressions. A/R will show a list of matching files, and for
                  > each, a little of each line of matching text. If I don't get
                  > enough info from the cited text, I would double click the file
                  > name to open it in Firefox and use Firefox's "find" to locate the
                  > desired occurrence.
                  >
                  > <http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/>

                  If you like this I think it would be easy to make a html document out
                  of the results, open it in firefox and have a hyperlinked copy of the
                  results where you could click the file names to open them.

                  I'm 90% there with little effort.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • jeff
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                    Hey cousin, Use Control + F?

                    Jeff Scism

                    Vance E. Neff wrote:

                    > But, I am using firefox to access the document. Then I want to locate a
                    > referenced term in the document which probably should have been
                    > hypertexted linked (and even might be elsewhere in the document).
                    >
                    > Vance
                    >
                    > sisterscape wrote:
                    >
                    > >Couldn't you use NoteTab's "search disk" function? I use it all the
                    > time to find specific references in multiple files.
                    > >

                    > >--- On Tue, 2/24/09, Vance E. Neff <veneff@...
                    > <mailto:veneff%40intouchmi.com>> wrote:
                    > >

                    > >>From: Vance E. Neff <veneff@...
                    > <mailto:veneff%40intouchmi.com>>
                    > >>Subject: Re: [NTO] offline search
                    > >>To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > >>Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 2:11 PM
                    > >>Alec,
                    > >>
                    > >>I tried Windows Search because it was an optional update
                    > >>and found it so
                    > >>unmanageable that I uninstalled it. I'll check into
                    > >>Google Desktop Search.
                    > >>The offline websites I was talking about are generally
                    > >>multi-page HTML
                    > >>manuals.
                    > >>
                    > >>Thanks!
                    > >>Vance

                    > (in part) (on
                    > >>>

                    > >>2009-02-24 at

                    > >>will allow me to

                    > >>at the currently

                    > >>but with dial up, I

                    > >>Search (or Windows

                  • Vance E. Neff
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                      That only works on the current page, not subsequent pages.

                      Vance

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                        I suppose you could search for the term, find all pages with it in it,
                        replace it with <span style="whateverstyle youwant like colored
                        background: red">search term</spam>

                        With, or without saving the pages, open them in firefox and enjoy them ...

                        Vance E. Neff wrote:
                        > That only works on the current page, not subsequent pages.
                        >
                        > Vance
                        >
                        > jeff wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hey cousin, Use Control + F?
                        >>
                        >> Jeff Scism

                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 25, 2009
                          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

                          > That only works on the current page, not subsequent pages.
                          >
                          > Vance

                          You can configure Firefox so it starts searching the current page as
                          soon as you start typing (no need for Ctrl+F). If you hit alt-A it
                          highlights all hits. And if you activate or open another another
                          tab/page, you can alt-A to highlights all its hits. Or F3 to find
                          next. Its not like you have to keep reentering the search term.

                          Regards,
                          Sheri