Re: [NTO] I need a reminder about a program that shows element placement

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

      > I show view source chart and view formatted source as not being current

      Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions

      It was very helpful to me in understanding page structure.

      We can only hope for a fix or a new utility which will do the job.

      -Mike
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
        >
        >> I show view source chart and view formatted source as not being current

        > Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions
        >
        > It was very helpful to me in understanding page structure.
        >
        > We can only hope for a fix or a new utility which will do the job.
        >
        > -Mike

        It works for $10 apparently ... or with a lesser version for free ...
        Purchase 2.7 for $10 (For Firefox 3) Includes 9 Copies
        VSC version 2.7 is Firefox 3 compatible! And it is FASTER than ever!!!
        If you've used previous versions, you'll be blown away by the speed of
        this latest version!

        2.7 works in tab view (faster) or popup window view, collapses boxes to
        current mouse location so that a just-collapsed box remains in user
        viewport, and is now faster than ever.

        * Please read known issue(s) below: cannot navigate away from the
        chart to a new URL
        * But it's lightning fast!!!
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > > Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions

          > > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

          > It works for $10 apparently ... or with a lesser version for free ...

          I installed the experimental version and it seems to work fine.
          https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/655#version-2.5.0503

          Thanks, Don.
          -Mike
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            >>
            >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            >> > Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions
            >
            > > > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            >
            >> It works for $10 apparently ... or with a lesser version for free ...
            >
            > I installed the experimental version and it seems to work fine.
            > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/655#version-2.5.0503
            >
            > Thanks, Don.
            > -Mike

            I expect it would, but it has limited functionality compared to the paid
            version apparently.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
              Bruce Meyers wrote:
              > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about
              > some programs that will show element placement?

              This is not what you asked for and probably too trivial for words
              and long known, but still, what I often do is use CSS to put a
              border around otherwise invisible elements like DIV or UL or
              something. Often gives just the insight I need.

              Axel
            • Bruce Meyers
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                The program I was looking for was Kompozer - it shows the position
                of Divs.

                Thanks for your suggestions and comments

                Bruce

                -- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Meyers" <oldguy1166@...>
                wrote:

                > Someone once told me about a program that would show something like
                > a diagram of my divs and other elements on the page. I am not sure
                if
                > it was a program I could download or a "service" that I could refer
                > a page to.
                >
                > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about some programs
                > that will show element placement?
                >
                > [Note: all of you out there in "NoteTab Land" are just wonderful in
                the
                > way you respond to questions. Thank you all very much for being so
                > generous and helpful.]
                > Bruce Meyers

              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                  You might also check out the Dom Inspector and Aardvark addons for Firefox.

                  > The program I was looking for was Kompozer - it shows the
                  > position
                  > of Divs.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your suggestions and comments
                  >
                  > Bruce
                  >

                  > -- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce
                  > Meyers" <oldguy1166@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Someone once told me about a program that would show
                  > something like
                  > > a diagram of my divs and other elements on the page. I
                  > am not sure
                  > if
                  > > it was a program I could download or a
                  > "service" that I could refer
                  > > a page to.
                  > >
                  > > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about
                  > some programs
                  > > that will show element placement?
                  > >
                  > > [Note: all of you out there in "NoteTab
                  > Land" are just wonderful in
                  > the
                  > > way you respond to questions. Thank you all very much
                  > for being so
                  > > generous and helpful.]
                  > > Bruce Meyers

                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                    On 31 Dec 08 23:26 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
                    > You might also check out the Dom Inspector and Aardvark addons for
                    > Firefox.

                    Also:
                    http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

                    Greg
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                      Hi Bruce,

                      On 31 Dec 08 22:05 "Bruce Meyers" <oldguy1166@...> said:
                      > The program I was looking for was Kompozer - it shows the position
                      > of Divs.

                      I trust you're registered at:
                      http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/forum/
                      I regret to say (on a NoteTab list) that I'm the biggest poster there.
                      (Best beginner's open source WYSIWYG web editor I know.)

                      Greg
                      http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
                      Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP