Re: [NTO] I need a reminder about a program that shows element placement

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
      Bruce Meyers wrote:
      > Someone once told me about a program that would show something like
      > a diagram of my divs and other elements on the page. I am not sure if
      > it was a program I could download or a "service" that I could refer
      > a page to.
      >
      > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about some programs
      > that will show element placement?
      >
      > [Note: all of you out there in "NoteTab Land" are just wonderful in the
      > way you respond to questions. Thank you all very much for being so
      > generous and helpful.]
      > Bruce Meyers

      Well if you are using firefox (and why wouldn't you be using it?), there
      are several great extensions that do this and more.

      web developer is good

      measure it is good

      I show view source chart and view formatted source as not being current
      -- but I suspect that may be what you are referring to ... very cool add
      on's to firefox

      Firebug is the biggest one and I show it not being current as well.
      http://getfirebug.com/
      I'll have to go check.

      3.0.5 just released and it blew out a number of extensions -- one of the
      things I dislike about firefox. They should either not disable "old"
      extensions automatically (some might still work) or they should give
      more notice of releases.
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

        > I show view source chart and view formatted source as not being current

        Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions

        It was very helpful to me in understanding page structure.

        We can only hope for a fix or a new utility which will do the job.

        -Mike
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          >
          >> I show view source chart and view formatted source as not being current

          > Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions
          >
          > It was very helpful to me in understanding page structure.
          >
          > We can only hope for a fix or a new utility which will do the job.
          >
          > -Mike

          It works for $10 apparently ... or with a lesser version for free ...
          Purchase 2.7 for $10 (For Firefox 3) Includes 9 Copies
          VSC version 2.7 is Firefox 3 compatible! And it is FASTER than ever!!!
          If you've used previous versions, you'll be blown away by the speed of
          this latest version!

          2.7 works in tab view (faster) or popup window view, collapses boxes to
          current mouse location so that a just-collapsed box remains in user
          viewport, and is now faster than ever.

          * Please read known issue(s) below: cannot navigate away from the
          chart to a new URL
          * But it's lightning fast!!!
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > > Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions

            > > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

            > It works for $10 apparently ... or with a lesser version for free ...

            I installed the experimental version and it seems to work fine.
            https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/655#version-2.5.0503

            Thanks, Don.
            -Mike
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              >>
              >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              >> > Bummer that it now longer works with the new FF versions
              >
              > > > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              >
              >> It works for $10 apparently ... or with a lesser version for free ...
              >
              > I installed the experimental version and it seems to work fine.
              > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/655#version-2.5.0503
              >
              > Thanks, Don.
              > -Mike

              I expect it would, but it has limited functionality compared to the paid
              version apparently.
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 30, 2008
                Bruce Meyers wrote:
                > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about
                > some programs that will show element placement?

                This is not what you asked for and probably too trivial for words
                and long known, but still, what I often do is use CSS to put a
                border around otherwise invisible elements like DIV or UL or
                something. Often gives just the insight I need.

                Axel
              • Bruce Meyers
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                  The program I was looking for was Kompozer - it shows the position
                  of Divs.

                  Thanks for your suggestions and comments

                  Bruce

                  -- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Meyers" <oldguy1166@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Someone once told me about a program that would show something like
                  > a diagram of my divs and other elements on the page. I am not sure
                  if
                  > it was a program I could download or a "service" that I could refer
                  > a page to.
                  >
                  > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about some programs
                  > that will show element placement?
                  >
                  > [Note: all of you out there in "NoteTab Land" are just wonderful in
                  the
                  > way you respond to questions. Thank you all very much for being so
                  > generous and helpful.]
                  > Bruce Meyers

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                    You might also check out the Dom Inspector and Aardvark addons for Firefox.

                    > The program I was looking for was Kompozer - it shows the
                    > position
                    > of Divs.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your suggestions and comments
                    >
                    > Bruce
                    >

                    > -- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce
                    > Meyers" <oldguy1166@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Someone once told me about a program that would show
                    > something like
                    > > a diagram of my divs and other elements on the page. I
                    > am not sure
                    > if
                    > > it was a program I could download or a
                    > "service" that I could refer
                    > > a page to.
                    > >
                    > > Can someone remind me of the program or tell me about
                    > some programs
                    > > that will show element placement?
                    > >
                    > > [Note: all of you out there in "NoteTab
                    > Land" are just wonderful in
                    > the
                    > > way you respond to questions. Thank you all very much
                    > for being so
                    > > generous and helpful.]
                    > > Bruce Meyers

                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                      On 31 Dec 08 23:26 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
                      > You might also check out the Dom Inspector and Aardvark addons for
                      > Firefox.

                      Also:
                      http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

                      Greg
                    • Greg Chapman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                        Hi Bruce,

                        On 31 Dec 08 22:05 "Bruce Meyers" <oldguy1166@...> said:
                        > The program I was looking for was Kompozer - it shows the position
                        > of Divs.

                        I trust you're registered at:
                        http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/forum/
                        I regret to say (on a NoteTab list) that I'm the biggest poster there.
                        (Best beginner's open source WYSIWYG web editor I know.)

                        Greg
                        http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
                        Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP