Re: [NTO] Netbooks

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
      I bought an Acer Aspire One. I quite like it.

      The keyboard is fine. It's big enough to be completely usable.

      The track pad is OK, but I'm still working on getting its configuration
      right so that it's convenient (but then I'm not a track pad person).

      The display is nice. It's 8.9" diagonal with 1024x600 resolution. Very
      readable, even with my older eyes.

      It was advertised with a 120 GB disk, but came with a 160 GB. Nice
      surprise.

      Performance is OK. Not blinding, but quite acceptable for what I do with
      it. I use it at meetings mainly, where speed isn't really an issue.

      It has built in wireless, but not Bluetooth, which means that I can't use a
      fully cordless mouse. I still need to plug the receiver in. Wireless
      performance is not quite as good as my larger IBM X40, but it's fine in
      places where signal strength is OK. Just has slightly less range when
      signal strength would have been marginal on the X40 anyway.

      Peripherals? VGA plug to drive a second screen (not tried, but resolutions
      are shown in properties up to 2048x1536); RJ45 (not tried), 3 x USB slots
      (I've used them with memory sticks, mouse receiver, wireless Internet, and
      they're fine), 1 x camera card slots (haven't investigated them), audio in
      and out (have used the audio out, but not the in), build in camera (not
      tried). It came with XP Home pre-installed and working fine, so it fitted
      seamlessly into my home network.

      Battery life? I've not really checked it, and I've certainly not set it for
      maximum battery life. I think probably 3-4 hours would be achievable -
      especially with the wireless turned off (and it has a handy little switch
      for that).

      I'm happy with my purchase.

      My daughter bought an MSI U90. It is so similar, it's as though they were
      merely repackaging of the same computer. I got a bigger disk (she has only
      40 GB or might be 60 GB), but otherwise the specs seem about the same and
      hers is also nice to use.

      I looked quickly at the EEE computers (both the Acer and the Dell) but
      decided I couldn't live with the tiny amount of mass storage they offered.
      The non-rotating nature of that storage doesn't interest me, as I'm gentle
      with laptops and don't tend to break their disks. And my USB stick is
      bigger than their mass storage. :-) They are smaller, though, and this
      might appeal.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
        I always buy my notebooks from Sager Computers in City of Industry, they
        build them right there from components.

        My wife's cost $3300 by the time we were done, but they have some for
        less than $1000.

        Jeff

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        ~~~~

        "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate,
        tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

        Samuel Adams

        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
        inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the
        state of facts and evidence."

        John Adams

        loro wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I plan to buy a netbook when prices drop after Christmas. An Asus Eee
        > or an Acer Aspire One. I know what specs I want, so that's no
        > problem. But it's hard to test things like the keyboard when you
        > stand in the shop with a pushy salesman panting down your neck.
        >
        > So I wonder what people who have used any or both of them think about
        > their handling. Keyboard, touchpad, ability/inability to use
        > peripherals, battery life and so on.
        >
        > Better mention that I want one just because of the small size and
        > weight, perfect for what I want it for, so a "real" laptop is no
        > alternative.
        >
        > TIA
        > Lotta

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 14, 2008
          Hi
          Got one of the EE900 find it ok ,you can get use to the touch pad I still
          prefer mouse screen is full width ,sound o\p used to drive home stereo
          works fine installed Audacity recording comes next ,
          Battery life is better with wireless on only when you need it, comes with XP
          Home works fine ,mine came installed with free office and adobe 9 and a db
          program and skpe removed every except skpe and home , works best if ,power
          options set to do nothing when lid closed ,boots in 15 seconds,
          camera comes with it but the is to close to camera.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 16, 2008
            Hi,

            Thanks to everyone for sharing. We'll see what Santa brings. ;-)

            Lotta
          • Jeffery
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
              A "netbook" is designed primarily for Internet use, and often has no
              internal memory drives (CD/DVD) and only has USB ports. The Netbook
              comes preloaded with the operating system, and any uodates have to come
              either by USB port or by internet download.

              Netbooks are usually smaller than conventional notebooks, because they
              do not have to have the drive installed.

              In the one I am using to write this, made by ACER, the screen
              size/resolution doesn't match the standards, so programs like Google
              earth do not scale correctly.

              Full support of Graphics normally seen on the net is installed, and I
              use graphics programs to work with graphics the same way i do on the
              desktop and notebook.

              WIFI is built in, and netbooks are designed to be portable, and
              connect to almost any network.
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
                Jeffery wrote:
                > The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
                > uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.

                Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
                and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
                WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
                like.

                The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
                harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.

                Axel
              • Jeffery
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
                  On 8/23/2010 8:20 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Jeffery wrote:
                  >> The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
                  >> uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.
                  > Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
                  > and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
                  > WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
                  > like.
                  >
                  > The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
                  > harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
                  >
                  > Axel
                  Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
                  directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

                  Out of the Box they require different methods of input, but otherwise
                  they are of similar capabilities to a laptop.
                • Chris Laarman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 24, 2010
                    Jeffery <jeff@...> on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:58:45 -0700:

                    >> The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
                    >> harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
                    >>
                    >> Axel
                    >Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
                    >directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

                    Quite. :-)

                    I'd like to add:

                    Computers need to be able to boot from a device other than their
                    internal hard drive(s). However, among the first things I do to a new
                    computer is going into the BIOS, making sure that the first device in
                    the Boot priority is that internal drive, then applying a password to
                    that BIOS (to protect that setting).
                    If the operating system shouldn't ask me to log in, I'd change the
                    settings to make it do so.

                    That way, someone not knowing my password can't use my computer in my
                    absence, and has to open it in order to access it.

                    --
                    Chris Laarman