Netbooks

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hi,

      I plan to buy a netbook when prices drop after Christmas. An Asus Eee
      or an Acer Aspire One. I know what specs I want, so that's no
      problem. But it's hard to test things like the keyboard when you
      stand in the shop with a pushy salesman panting down your neck.

      So I wonder what people who have used any or both of them think about
      their handling. Keyboard, touchpad, ability/inability to use
      peripherals, battery life and so on.

      Better mention that I want one just because of the small size and
      weight, perfect for what I want it for, so a "real" laptop is no alternative.

      TIA
      Lotta
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
        loro wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I plan to buy a netbook when prices drop after Christmas. An Asus Eee
        > or an Acer Aspire One.

        http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/31863/review/aspire_one.html

        -mb
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
          I bought an Acer Aspire One. I quite like it.

          The keyboard is fine. It's big enough to be completely usable.

          The track pad is OK, but I'm still working on getting its configuration
          right so that it's convenient (but then I'm not a track pad person).

          The display is nice. It's 8.9" diagonal with 1024x600 resolution. Very
          readable, even with my older eyes.

          It was advertised with a 120 GB disk, but came with a 160 GB. Nice
          surprise.

          Performance is OK. Not blinding, but quite acceptable for what I do with
          it. I use it at meetings mainly, where speed isn't really an issue.

          It has built in wireless, but not Bluetooth, which means that I can't use a
          fully cordless mouse. I still need to plug the receiver in. Wireless
          performance is not quite as good as my larger IBM X40, but it's fine in
          places where signal strength is OK. Just has slightly less range when
          signal strength would have been marginal on the X40 anyway.

          Peripherals? VGA plug to drive a second screen (not tried, but resolutions
          are shown in properties up to 2048x1536); RJ45 (not tried), 3 x USB slots
          (I've used them with memory sticks, mouse receiver, wireless Internet, and
          they're fine), 1 x camera card slots (haven't investigated them), audio in
          and out (have used the audio out, but not the in), build in camera (not
          tried). It came with XP Home pre-installed and working fine, so it fitted
          seamlessly into my home network.

          Battery life? I've not really checked it, and I've certainly not set it for
          maximum battery life. I think probably 3-4 hours would be achievable -
          especially with the wireless turned off (and it has a handy little switch
          for that).

          I'm happy with my purchase.

          My daughter bought an MSI U90. It is so similar, it's as though they were
          merely repackaging of the same computer. I got a bigger disk (she has only
          40 GB or might be 60 GB), but otherwise the specs seem about the same and
          hers is also nice to use.

          I looked quickly at the EEE computers (both the Acer and the Dell) but
          decided I couldn't live with the tiny amount of mass storage they offered.
          The non-rotating nature of that storage doesn't interest me, as I'm gentle
          with laptops and don't tend to break their disks. And my USB stick is
          bigger than their mass storage. :-) They are smaller, though, and this
          might appeal.

          Regards, Dave S

          > I plan to buy a netbook when prices drop after Christmas. An Asus Eee
          > or an Acer Aspire One. I know what specs I want, so that's no
          > problem. But it's hard to test things like the keyboard when you
          > stand in the shop with a pushy salesman panting down your neck.
          >
          > So I wonder what people who have used any or both of them think about
          > their handling. Keyboard, touchpad, ability/inability to use
          > peripherals, battery life and so on.
          >
          > Better mention that I want one just because of the small size and
          > weight, perfect for what I want it for, so a "real" laptop is no
          > alternative.
          >
          > TIA
          > Lotta

        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
            I tried an Asus Eee: I didn't like the keyboard, just too small for serious work and I don't consider myself having 'bunch of bananas' hands either.  Otherwise lovely.Suggest you try before you buyfw

            ._,___

          • jeff
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2008
              I always buy my notebooks from Sager Computers in City of Industry, they
              build them right there from components.

              My wife's cost $3300 by the time we were done, but they have some for
              less than $1000.

              Jeff

              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

              ~~~~

              "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate,
              tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

              Samuel Adams

              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
              inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the
              state of facts and evidence."

              John Adams

              loro wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I plan to buy a netbook when prices drop after Christmas. An Asus Eee
              > or an Acer Aspire One. I know what specs I want, so that's no
              > problem. But it's hard to test things like the keyboard when you
              > stand in the shop with a pushy salesman panting down your neck.
              >
              > So I wonder what people who have used any or both of them think about
              > their handling. Keyboard, touchpad, ability/inability to use
              > peripherals, battery life and so on.
              >
              > Better mention that I want one just because of the small size and
              > weight, perfect for what I want it for, so a "real" laptop is no
              > alternative.
              >
              > TIA
              > Lotta

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2008
                Hi
                Got one of the EE900 find it ok ,you can get use to the touch pad I still
                prefer mouse screen is full width ,sound o\p used to drive home stereo
                works fine installed Audacity recording comes next ,
                Battery life is better with wireless on only when you need it, comes with XP
                Home works fine ,mine came installed with free office and adobe 9 and a db
                program and skpe removed every except skpe and home , works best if ,power
                options set to do nothing when lid closed ,boots in 15 seconds,
                camera comes with it but the is to close to camera.
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 16, 2008
                  Hi,

                  Thanks to everyone for sharing. We'll see what Santa brings. ;-)

                  Lotta
                • Jeffery
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 23 7:35 AM
                    A "netbook" is designed primarily for Internet use, and often has no
                    internal memory drives (CD/DVD) and only has USB ports. The Netbook
                    comes preloaded with the operating system, and any uodates have to come
                    either by USB port or by internet download.

                    Netbooks are usually smaller than conventional notebooks, because they
                    do not have to have the drive installed.

                    In the one I am using to write this, made by ACER, the screen
                    size/resolution doesn't match the standards, so programs like Google
                    earth do not scale correctly.

                    Full support of Graphics normally seen on the net is installed, and I
                    use graphics programs to work with graphics the same way i do on the
                    desktop and notebook.

                    WIFI is built in, and netbooks are designed to be portable, and
                    connect to almost any network.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 23 8:20 AM
                      Jeffery wrote:
                      > The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
                      > uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.

                      Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
                      and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
                      WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
                      like.

                      The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
                      harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.

                      Axel
                    • Jeffery
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 23 8:58 AM
                        On 8/23/2010 8:20 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
                        > Jeffery wrote:
                        >> The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
                        >> uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.
                        > Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
                        > and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
                        > WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
                        > like.
                        >
                        > The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
                        > harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
                        >
                        > Axel
                        Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
                        directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

                        Out of the Box they require different methods of input, but otherwise
                        they are of similar capabilities to a laptop.
                      • Chris Laarman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 24 1:01 AM
                          Jeffery <jeff@...> on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:58:45 -0700:

                          >> The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
                          >> harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
                          >>
                          >> Axel
                          >Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
                          >directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

                          Quite. :-)

                          I'd like to add:

                          Computers need to be able to boot from a device other than their
                          internal hard drive(s). However, among the first things I do to a new
                          computer is going into the BIOS, making sure that the first device in
                          the Boot priority is that internal drive, then applying a password to
                          that BIOS (to protect that setting).
                          If the operating system shouldn't ask me to log in, I'd change the
                          settings to make it do so.

                          That way, someone not knowing my password can't use my computer in my
                          absence, and has to open it in order to access it.

                          --
                          Chris Laarman