how to point to a page with your browser

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2008
      there is a place somewhere on a windows machine where you can redirect a
      domain name when entered

      so if I type in notetab.com instead of really going to notetab it goes
      somewhere I choose like a local file or something

      I used to use this because a particular program I was using (AIM) in
      this case insists on loading the home page every time you log in and
      thus tracking you and giving you content you don't wish to have (it was
      slow)

      I don't remember where this was.

      Help please ...
    • K B
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2008
        Sounds like the hosts file in Windows.

        Karen

        On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...>wrote:

        > there is a place somewhere on a windows machine where you can redirect a
        >
        > domain name when entered
        >
        > so if I type in notetab.com instead of really going to notetab it goes
        > somewhere I choose like a local file or something
        >
        > I used to use this because a particular program I was using (AIM) in
        > this case insists on loading the home page every time you log in and
        > thus tracking you and giving you content you don't wish to have (it was
        > slow)
        >
        > I don't remember where this was.
        >
        > Help please ...

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2008
          YES! I was close but could not remember \drivers\etc\host

          Then I add this:
          127.0.0.1 dashboard.aim.com # remove aim today boot up
          daily

          and I am no longer bothered by their page daily.

          I made it as far as C:\system\windows\system32\