Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTO] content management

Expand Messages
  • Scott Fordin
    FWIW, I ve grown fond of Drupal, after banging around a bit with Joomla, Mambo, phpWebSite, and Post-Nuke. That said, I can t claim to be an expert at any of
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      FWIW, I've grown fond of Drupal, after banging around a
      bit with Joomla, Mambo, phpWebSite, and Post-Nuke. That
      said, I can't claim to be an expert at any of these, but
      after looking at those others, I've chosen to immerse
      myself in Drupal. I have three Drupal-based sites under
      development right now, and in all, Drupal is pretty easy
      to use. If you go the Drupal route, you'll find a number
      of plug-in modules for blogging. Keep in mind that you'll
      need MySQL on your hosting site. I believe there are ways
      to use Drupal with other databases, but I'm not sure.
      MySQL is the default, and it works very well.

      Here's some good press about Drupal:

      http://www.packtpub.com/award

      YMMV. Hope this helps,

      Scott

      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      >
      >
      > weighing what to do with a new site ...
      >
      > I have always used wordpress, but I have the following choices easily
      > available:
      > Blogs
      > b2evolution
      > Nucleus
      > WordPress
      >
      > Content Management
      > Drupal
      > Geeklog
      > Joomla
      > Mambo
      > PHP-Nuke
      > phpWCMS
      > phpWebSite
      > Post-Nuke
      > Siteframe
      > TYPO3
      > Xoops
      >
      > Any input appreciated. I want to basically run a small corporate site
      > that would have the ability to have a brochure and some detailed pages
      > about the company's abilities. Later I may want to run a few smaller
      > parts of the site that are available only to a particular client so that
      > the client can review documents or lists that are particular to them
      > after they are logged in.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Don
      >
      >
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      ... Okay Scott, I m game for the try. I have it installed. It seems it doesn t have any type of wysiwig or button driven editing. I managed to make a static
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Scott Fordin wrote:
        > FWIW, I've grown fond of Drupal, after banging around a
        > bit with Joomla, Mambo, phpWebSite, and Post-Nuke. That
        > said, I can't claim to be an expert at any of these, but
        > after looking at those others, I've chosen to immerse
        > myself in Drupal. I have three Drupal-based sites under
        > development right now, and in all, Drupal is pretty easy
        > to use. If you go the Drupal route, you'll find a number
        > of plug-in modules for blogging. Keep in mind that you'll
        > need MySQL on your hosting site. I believe there are ways
        > to use Drupal with other databases, but I'm not sure.
        > MySQL is the default, and it works very well.
        >
        > Here's some good press about Drupal:
        >
        > http://www.packtpub.com/award
        >
        > YMMV. Hope this helps,
        >
        > Scott

        Okay Scott, I'm game for the try. I have it installed. It seems it
        doesn't have any type of wysiwig or button driven editing.

        I managed to make a static front page and to kill the log in menu from
        the left. Now I want to make the several pages to begin ... but I
        cannot figure out how to get them into the menu. Learning curve steep
        just now ...

        Trying to use google to find answers, but so far a little slow to discover.
      • Greg Chapman
        Hi Don, ... One or more linked sites based on the facilities at: http://sites.google.com might be useful too. Greg
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Don,

          On 20 Nov 08 03:11 "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said:
          >
          > I want to basically run a small corporate site that would have the
          > ability to have a brochure and some detailed pages about the
          > company's abilities. Later I may want to run a few smaller parts of
          > the site that are available only to a particular client so that the
          > client can review documents or lists that are particular to them
          > after they are logged in.

          One or more linked sites based on the facilities at:
          http://sites.google.com
          might be useful too.

          Greg
        • Axel Berger
          ... For what it s worth I have found all promises along the lines of this allows you to achieve something highly skilled without the bother of needing to
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > PHP-Nuke

            For what it's worth I have found all promises along the lines of "this
            allows you to achieve something highly skilled without the bother of
            needing to learn anything" not to be fulfilled. I have yet to see any
            page in any site using content management that validates. I stick to
            pure old fashioned hand coding and avoid duplication through server side
            includes.

            Axel
          • Scott Fordin
            ... This is where the contributed Drupal modules are your friend. For more wysiswyg editing, take at look at the nicedit module. To make it easier to get
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              > > YMMV. Hope this helps,
              > >
              > > Scott
              >
              > Okay Scott, I'm game for the try. I have it installed. It seems it
              > doesn't have any type of wysiwig or button driven editing.
              >
              > I managed to make a static front page and to kill the log in menu from
              > the left. Now I want to make the several pages to begin ... but I
              > cannot figure out how to get them into the menu. Learning curve steep
              > just now ...

              This is where the contributed Drupal modules are your friend.
              For more wysiswyg editing, take at look at the nicedit module.
              To make it easier to get static pages into your menu system,
              be sure to enable all the content types you want to use. For
              example, here's the default help page that describes each
              content type:

              -------------------------- Snip --------------------------
              Book page
              A book page is a page of content, organized into a collection of related
              entries collectively known as a book. A book page automatically displays
              links to adjacent pages, providing a simple navigation system for
              organizing and reviewing structured content.
              Forum topic
              A forum topic is the initial post to a new discussion thread within a forum.
              Page
              A page, similar in form to a story, is a simple method for creating and
              displaying information that rarely changes, such as an "About us"
              section of a website. By default, a page entry does not allow visitor
              comments and is not featured on the site's initial home page.
              Poll
              A poll is a question with a set of possible responses. A poll, once
              created, automatically provides a simple running count of the number of
              votes received for each response.
              Story
              A story, similar in form to a page, is ideal for creating and displaying
              content that informs or engages website visitors. Press releases, site
              announcements, and informal blog-like entries may all be created with a
              story entry. By default, a story entry is automatically featured on the
              site's initial home page, and provides the ability to post comments.
              -------------------------- Snip --------------------------

              Finally, you may want to check your Input Format settings. I
              may at some point choose to use Filtered HTML, but for my
              purposes at this time, I prefer Full HTML.

              Hope this helps,

              Scott

              >
              > Trying to use google to find answers, but so far a little slow to discover.
              >
              >
            • Scott Fordin
              ... Well, in terms of validation, the Drupal code is pretty clean. I m a stickler for code cleanliness, and I m reasonably satisfied with what Drupal
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                > > PHP-Nuke
                >
                > For what it's worth I have found all promises along the lines of "this
                > allows you to achieve something highly skilled without the bother of
                > needing to learn anything" not to be fulfilled. I have yet to see any
                > page in any site using content management that validates. I stick to
                > pure old fashioned hand coding and avoid duplication through server side
                > includes.

                Well, in terms of validation, the Drupal code is pretty clean.
                I'm a stickler for code cleanliness, and I'm reasonably satisfied
                with what Drupal generates. You can do tables-based stuff, CSS-
                based stuff, and choose different kinds of strictness.

                Before anyone thinks I'm a Drupal evangelist, I'm not. There are
                times when using a CMS is appropriate, and times when coding by
                hand is better. It all depends on what you want to do, and what
                kinds of users your site will be accommodating, in terms of both
                site visitors and content creators or providers. There's a gray
                area too in terms of what exactly a content management system is.
                I mean, at the one end, you have collaborative content creation,
                workflow management, individual user spaces, version controls,
                and all sorts of privilege levels. At the other end, you could
                have your personal blog pages. Just you, your personal site, and
                some blog API. Both are types of content management. I agree
                though, that if you're just creating a bunch of static pages and
                have no need for any sort of access controls, coding straight by
                hand is probably a better route for you. I also agree that there
                is no "forehead-proof" CMS interface that also offers reasonably
                clean code, wide flexibility, and enterprise-grade power.

                Scott

                >
                > Axel
                >
                >
              • K B
                ... I actually am a rabid Drupal fangirl. I have never used a WYSIWYG, but I found this:
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...>wrote:

                  >
                  >
                  > Okay Scott, I'm game for the try. I have it installed. It seems it
                  > doesn't have any type of wysiwig or button driven editing.
                  >
                  > .
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  I actually am a rabid Drupal fangirl. I have never used a WYSIWYG, but I
                  found this:
                  http://www.nicklewis.org/drupal-hackers-cookbook/module-guide/wysiwyg-editors/yui-editorto
                  be interesting.

                  Karen


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Scott Fordin
                  Cool! Thanks for the tip, Karen. I ll check it out! Scott
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Cool! Thanks for the tip, Karen. I'll check it out!

                    Scott

                    K B wrote:
                    > On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...
                    > <mailto:don%40htmlfixit.com>>wrote:
                    > > Okay Scott, I'm game for the try. I have it installed. It seems it
                    > > doesn't have any type of wysiwig or button driven editing.
                    > >
                    > I actually am a rabid Drupal fangirl. I have never used a WYSIWYG, but I
                    > found this:
                    > http://www.nicklewis.org/drupal-hackers-cookbook/module-guide/wysiwyg-editors/yui-editorto
                    > <http://www.nicklewis.org/drupal-hackers-cookbook/module-guide/wysiwyg-editors/yui-editorto>
                    > be interesting.
                    >
                    > Karen
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.