OT was Re: [Clip] Linux advise

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      CC'd this also to ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com (ntb-offtopic yahoogroups
      list) Please, if anyone reply to this post, verify that your reply only goes
      to ntb-offtopic and *not* to here/clips.

      On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Robin & Blaine <lighthouse101@...>wrote:

      [ Linux curious . . . ]

      Notetab runs in wine on Linux

      I run Slackware 12.1 (but, though Slack *is* popular amongst a certain
      crowd, this distro is not everyone's choice of distro). The appeal: huge
      community support; simple and easy; many programmers contributions as
      sizeable portion of said community; lends itself well to customization; I
      have *full* control (over the what where how of what's on my sys [apps,
      etc.] and how it's configured).

      con: simple and easy [roll up your sleeves, edit some config files manually
      with an editor] and ditto with customization and ditto with my *full*
      control. (sometimes [though likely niot often, if at all] the auto-config
      thingy in other distro not always does perfect -- but it does do it their
      way.

      I have Win 2K SP4 runs in the Qemu virtual machine on top of Slackware
      (Slack is the host, Win 2K is the guest OS -- Notetab works superbly in said
      Win 2K (Win 2K is Win 2K whether it is on real hardware or on virtualized
      [software container that emulates/fakes] hardware.

      I've recently now an Intel dual core with Slack 12.1 on it -- next is to try
      Win XP in some of the virtual that target this CPU such as Xen, KVM kernel
      virtual machine -- oop, perhaps I already goofed as maybe the [for dual core
      Intel optimization] virtual layer goes onto the HD first and then/next on
      with the operating systems.

      It's so much fun to run two operating systems simultaneously on one hardware
      box . . .
      --
      Alan.

    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
        I used SuSE happily for many years, but I switched over to
        Ubuntu about two years ago and have been very impressed with
        it. I too have had good results running Notetab Pro in Wine.

        I second the suggestion of taking a peek at distrowatch.com,
        although to be honest, there are so many Linux distributions
        out there that you might find it a bit overwhelming.

        FWIW, I would just go ahead and get Ubuntu or openSuSE and be
        done with it. Both work really well and are easy to install.
        Linux has come a long way over the years in terms of ease of
        use and hardware detection and support. I give Ubuntu the
        edge because I like the package management tools better, and
        because SuSE puts some stuff in nonstandard places, which can
        be a bit of a bother in some cases. That said, I can't speak
        for openSuSE 11.0, which might be different than 10.2 in
        these regards. Also note that you want openSuSE now, which is
        free, rather than Enterprise SuSE from Novell, which costs.

        - http://www.ubuntu.com/
        - http://www.opensuse.org/en/

        Hope this helps,

        Scott