Re: [NTO] [FUN] Can you read this?

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      Gerard Huijing wrote:
      >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
      >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

      That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
      friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
      the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
      obvious reasons.

      My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
      Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
      adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.

      So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
      couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
      murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
      the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
      outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
      seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
      responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
      dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
      and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
      to talk English. Oops!

      Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
      Lotta
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        loro wrote:

        > Gerard Huijing wrote:
        > >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
        > >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)
        >
        > That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
        > friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
        > the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
        > obvious reasons.
        >
        > My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
        > Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
        > adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.
        >
        > So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
        > couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
        > murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
        > the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
        > outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
        > seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
        > responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
        > dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
        > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
        > to talk English. Oops!
        >
        > Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
        > Lotta

        I can sympathize. I once stood beside a young woman at a party, who
        speaks completely fluent Dutch without any foreign accent whatsoever (I
        think she was raised in Holland but I do not know if she was born
        there), and she was having a conversation with some older people. It
        sounded so weird that I thought she was was paralytically drunk, until I
        realized that she was speaking Armenian to her parents!

        But to return to the spelling stuff. I found it very strange to read
        that the Cambridge study revealed that no less than 55% did *not*
        understand it.
        I myself spotted what was wrong without detecting and describing the
        algorithm, so to speak.
        I bet others (programmers? mathematicians?) work exactly the other way
        round.
        How on earth does this all work in the brain?
        I bet my boots Wittgenstein has something about that, somewhere.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
          loro wrote:
          > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
          > to talk English.

          That's one I know well, You have no clue while your mind tries to parse
          the wrong language. I once heard physics lectures by a Chinese professor
          with, for one reason or another, a Dutch accent. Whenever a word eluded
          him he seamlessly switched from German with a Dutch accent into English
          with a Dutch accent. It was absolutely perfect English and quite easy to
          understand, but until I caught on it was pure gobbledegook to me.
          Happened every time and hardly got better during the semester.