Re: [NTO] [FUN] Can you read this?

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      loro wrote:

      > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
      >
      > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg
      > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>>
      >
      > Lotta

      Nice one, Lotta.
      I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
      English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

      That *does* look very weird too ...

      Cheers, Gerard

      --
      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
        Gerard Huijing wrote:
        >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
        >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

        That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
        friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
        the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
        obvious reasons.

        My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
        Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
        adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.

        So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
        couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
        murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
        the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
        outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
        seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
        responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
        dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
        and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
        to talk English. Oops!

        Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
        Lotta
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
          loro wrote:

          > Gerard Huijing wrote:
          > >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
          > >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)
          >
          > That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
          > friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
          > the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
          > obvious reasons.
          >
          > My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
          > Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
          > adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.
          >
          > So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
          > couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
          > murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
          > the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
          > outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
          > seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
          > responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
          > dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
          > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
          > to talk English. Oops!
          >
          > Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
          > Lotta

          I can sympathize. I once stood beside a young woman at a party, who
          speaks completely fluent Dutch without any foreign accent whatsoever (I
          think she was raised in Holland but I do not know if she was born
          there), and she was having a conversation with some older people. It
          sounded so weird that I thought she was was paralytically drunk, until I
          realized that she was speaking Armenian to her parents!

          But to return to the spelling stuff. I found it very strange to read
          that the Cambridge study revealed that no less than 55% did *not*
          understand it.
          I myself spotted what was wrong without detecting and describing the
          algorithm, so to speak.
          I bet others (programmers? mathematicians?) work exactly the other way
          round.
          How on earth does this all work in the brain?
          I bet my boots Wittgenstein has something about that, somewhere.

          Cheers,
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
            loro wrote:
            > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
            > to talk English.

            That's one I know well, You have no clue while your mind tries to parse
            the wrong language. I once heard physics lectures by a Chinese professor
            with, for one reason or another, a Dutch accent. Whenever a word eluded
            him he seamlessly switched from German with a Dutch accent into English
            with a Dutch accent. It was absolutely perfect English and quite easy to
            understand, but until I caught on it was pure gobbledegook to me.
            Happened every time and hardly got better during the semester.