Re: [NTO] [FUN] Can you read this?

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
      Not so off-topic. Several years ago a NoteTabber (forget who) gave me this scramble clip:

      H="Scramble Multi"
      ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060107
      ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_11:09:29p
      ^!ClearVariables
      ; -place cursor in line where scrambling to start
      ^!Select LINE
      ^!Select 0
      ^!Set %rowCol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ^!Set %letters%=[a-zA-Z’]
      ^!Set %letters4%=^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
      ;
      :LOOP
      ^!Find "^%letters4%+" RS
      ^!IfError END_LOOP
      ;
      :BASEDUP
      ^!Set %baseDup%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Set %baseWord%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Set %baseLen%=^$StrSize(^%baseWord%)$
      ; checks for 4 character words and handles accordingly.
      ^!If ^%baseLen% = 4 NEXT ELSE SCRAMBLE
      ^!If ^$StrCopy("^%baseWord%";2;1)$ <> ^$StrCopy("^%baseWord%";3;1)$ SCRAMBLE
      ;
      :REWORD
      ; if scrambling is passed sets newWord = baseWord
      ^!Set %newWord%=^%baseWord%
      ^!Goto PASS
      ;
      :SCRAMBLE
      ^!Set %firstChar%=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$
      ^!Set %lastChar%=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;^%baseLen%)$
      ^!Set %newLen%=^$Calc(^%baseLen%-2)$
      ^!Set %baseWord%=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;^%newLen%)$
      ^!Set %randSort%=^%empty%
      ;
      :BUILD_LOOP
      ^!if ^%baseWord%=^%empty% END_BUILD_LOOP
      ^!Set %randSort%=^%randSort%< ^$StrRandom(9;01)$>^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$^%nl%
      ^!Set %baseWord%=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;100)$
      ^!Goto BUILD_LOOP
      ;
      :END_BUILD_LOOP
      ^!Set %sortedBlock%=^$StrSort(^%randSort%;0;1;0)$
      ^!Set %randWord%=^$StrStripHTML(^%sortedBlock%;0)$
      ^!Set %newWord%=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace(" ";^%empty%;^%randWord%;1;0)$^%lastChar%
      ;
      ; if newWord = baseWord, jumps
      ^!IfSame "^%newWord%" "^%baseDup%" BASEDUP
      ;
      :PASS
      ^%newWord%
      ^!Jump SELECT_END
      ^!Goto LOOP
      ;
      :END_LOOP
      ^!SetScreenUpdate 1
      ^!SetCursor ^%rowCol%

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2008
        loro wrote:
        > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
        > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>

        Thanks Lotta. I had only seen that in German until now. Nice to know I
        can do it nearly as easily in English as in my mother tongue.

        Axel
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 28, 2008
          --- On Tue, 10/28/08, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

          > I had only seen that in German until now.

          Hi Axel,

          Could you point me in the direction of a German version.

          Danke !

          fw
        • Gerard Huijing
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
            loro wrote:

            > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
            >
            > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg
            > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>>
            >
            > Lotta

            Nice one, Lotta.
            I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
            English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

            That *does* look very weird too ...

            Cheers, Gerard

            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              Gerard Huijing wrote:
              >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
              >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

              That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
              friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
              the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
              obvious reasons.

              My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
              Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
              adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.

              So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
              couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
              murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
              the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
              outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
              seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
              responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
              dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
              and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
              to talk English. Oops!

              Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
              Lotta
            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                loro wrote:

                > Gerard Huijing wrote:
                > >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
                > >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)
                >
                > That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
                > friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
                > the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
                > obvious reasons.
                >
                > My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
                > Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
                > adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.
                >
                > So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
                > couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
                > murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
                > the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
                > outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
                > seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
                > responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
                > dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
                > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                > to talk English. Oops!
                >
                > Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
                > Lotta

                I can sympathize. I once stood beside a young woman at a party, who
                speaks completely fluent Dutch without any foreign accent whatsoever (I
                think she was raised in Holland but I do not know if she was born
                there), and she was having a conversation with some older people. It
                sounded so weird that I thought she was was paralytically drunk, until I
                realized that she was speaking Armenian to her parents!

                But to return to the spelling stuff. I found it very strange to read
                that the Cambridge study revealed that no less than 55% did *not*
                understand it.
                I myself spotted what was wrong without detecting and describing the
                algorithm, so to speak.
                I bet others (programmers? mathematicians?) work exactly the other way
                round.
                How on earth does this all work in the brain?
                I bet my boots Wittgenstein has something about that, somewhere.

                Cheers,
                Gerard

                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                  loro wrote:
                  > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                  > to talk English.

                  That's one I know well, You have no clue while your mind tries to parse
                  the wrong language. I once heard physics lectures by a Chinese professor
                  with, for one reason or another, a Dutch accent. Whenever a word eluded
                  him he seamlessly switched from German with a Dutch accent into English
                  with a Dutch accent. It was absolutely perfect English and quite easy to
                  understand, but until I caught on it was pure gobbledegook to me.
                  Happened every time and hardly got better during the semester.