Re: [NTO] [FUN] Can you read this?

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
      Julie wrote:
      >>What's my mind supposed to be, "sgtrane"?
      >LOL... strange... but I think that's moi!

      Oh! Thanks. I actually still don't "see" it. Probably an ESL thing. :-P

      Lotta
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
        Not so off-topic. Several years ago a NoteTabber (forget who) gave me this scramble clip:

        H="Scramble Multi"
        ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060107
        ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_11:09:29p
        ^!ClearVariables
        ; -place cursor in line where scrambling to start
        ^!Select LINE
        ^!Select 0
        ^!Set %rowCol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
        ^!Set %letters%=[a-zA-Z’]
        ^!Set %letters4%=^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
        ;
        :LOOP
        ^!Find "^%letters4%+" RS
        ^!IfError END_LOOP
        ;
        :BASEDUP
        ^!Set %baseDup%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Set %baseWord%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Set %baseLen%=^$StrSize(^%baseWord%)$
        ; checks for 4 character words and handles accordingly.
        ^!If ^%baseLen% = 4 NEXT ELSE SCRAMBLE
        ^!If ^$StrCopy("^%baseWord%";2;1)$ <> ^$StrCopy("^%baseWord%";3;1)$ SCRAMBLE
        ;
        :REWORD
        ; if scrambling is passed sets newWord = baseWord
        ^!Set %newWord%=^%baseWord%
        ^!Goto PASS
        ;
        :SCRAMBLE
        ^!Set %firstChar%=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$
        ^!Set %lastChar%=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;^%baseLen%)$
        ^!Set %newLen%=^$Calc(^%baseLen%-2)$
        ^!Set %baseWord%=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;^%newLen%)$
        ^!Set %randSort%=^%empty%
        ;
        :BUILD_LOOP
        ^!if ^%baseWord%=^%empty% END_BUILD_LOOP
        ^!Set %randSort%=^%randSort%< ^$StrRandom(9;01)$>^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$^%nl%
        ^!Set %baseWord%=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;100)$
        ^!Goto BUILD_LOOP
        ;
        :END_BUILD_LOOP
        ^!Set %sortedBlock%=^$StrSort(^%randSort%;0;1;0)$
        ^!Set %randWord%=^$StrStripHTML(^%sortedBlock%;0)$
        ^!Set %newWord%=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace(" ";^%empty%;^%randWord%;1;0)$^%lastChar%
        ;
        ; if newWord = baseWord, jumps
        ^!IfSame "^%newWord%" "^%baseDup%" BASEDUP
        ;
        :PASS
        ^%newWord%
        ^!Jump SELECT_END
        ^!Goto LOOP
        ;
        :END_LOOP
        ^!SetScreenUpdate 1
        ^!SetCursor ^%rowCol%

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 28, 2008
          loro wrote:
          > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
          > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>

          Thanks Lotta. I had only seen that in German until now. Nice to know I
          can do it nearly as easily in English as in my mother tongue.

          Axel
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2008
            --- On Tue, 10/28/08, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

            > I had only seen that in German until now.

            Hi Axel,

            Could you point me in the direction of a German version.

            Danke !

            fw
          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
              loro wrote:

              > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
              >
              > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg
              > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>>
              >
              > Lotta

              Nice one, Lotta.
              I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
              English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

              That *does* look very weird too ...

              Cheers, Gerard

              --
              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                Gerard Huijing wrote:
                >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
                >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

                That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
                friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
                the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
                obvious reasons.

                My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
                Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
                adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.

                So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
                couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
                murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
                the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
                outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
                seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
                responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
                dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
                and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                to talk English. Oops!

                Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
                Lotta
              • Gerard Huijing
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                  loro wrote:

                  > Gerard Huijing wrote:
                  > >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
                  > >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)
                  >
                  > That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
                  > friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
                  > the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
                  > obvious reasons.
                  >
                  > My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
                  > Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
                  > adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.
                  >
                  > So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
                  > couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
                  > murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
                  > the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
                  > outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
                  > seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
                  > responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
                  > dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
                  > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                  > to talk English. Oops!
                  >
                  > Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
                  > Lotta

                  I can sympathize. I once stood beside a young woman at a party, who
                  speaks completely fluent Dutch without any foreign accent whatsoever (I
                  think she was raised in Holland but I do not know if she was born
                  there), and she was having a conversation with some older people. It
                  sounded so weird that I thought she was was paralytically drunk, until I
                  realized that she was speaking Armenian to her parents!

                  But to return to the spelling stuff. I found it very strange to read
                  that the Cambridge study revealed that no less than 55% did *not*
                  understand it.
                  I myself spotted what was wrong without detecting and describing the
                  algorithm, so to speak.
                  I bet others (programmers? mathematicians?) work exactly the other way
                  round.
                  How on earth does this all work in the brain?
                  I bet my boots Wittgenstein has something about that, somewhere.

                  Cheers,
                  Gerard

                  --
                  Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  2312 ZD Leiden
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                    loro wrote:
                    > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                    > to talk English.

                    That's one I know well, You have no clue while your mind tries to parse
                    the wrong language. I once heard physics lectures by a Chinese professor
                    with, for one reason or another, a Dutch accent. Whenever a word eluded
                    him he seamlessly switched from German with a Dutch accent into English
                    with a Dutch accent. It was absolutely perfect English and quite easy to
                    understand, but until I caught on it was pure gobbledegook to me.
                    Happened every time and hardly got better during the semester.