[FUN] Can you read this?

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
      Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.

      <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>

      Lotta
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
        LOL. Lotta this is fantastic. I can read this better than normal writing
        LOL. hehehehhee

        Thanks for sharing J

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
          Get any strange responses from the list? :D

          I showed this to some friends a while back and 100% of them could
          read it, several who spoke English as a second language. I think that
          statistic is skewed.

          Julie

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
            Julie wrote:
            >I showed this to some friends a while back and 100% of them could
            >read it, several who spoke English as a second language. I think that
            >statistic is skewed.

            Yeah, I can read it too. Except I get stuck on one word. Maybe you
            guys can help me. What's my mind supposed to be, "sgtrane"?

            Lotta
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
              LOL... strange... but I think that's moi!

              Julie

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                Julie wrote:
                >>What's my mind supposed to be, "sgtrane"?
                >LOL... strange... but I think that's moi!

                Oh! Thanks. I actually still don't "see" it. Probably an ESL thing. :-P

                Lotta
              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                  Not so off-topic. Several years ago a NoteTabber (forget who) gave me this scramble clip:

                  H="Scramble Multi"
                  ;_ Modified-Updated~Created_20060107
                  ;_ hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_11:09:29p
                  ^!ClearVariables
                  ; -place cursor in line where scrambling to start
                  ^!Select LINE
                  ^!Select 0
                  ^!Set %rowCol%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                  ^!Set %letters%=[a-zA-Z’]
                  ^!Set %letters4%=^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                  ;
                  :LOOP
                  ^!Find "^%letters4%+" RS
                  ^!IfError END_LOOP
                  ;
                  :BASEDUP
                  ^!Set %baseDup%=^$GetSelection$
                  ^!Set %baseWord%=^$GetSelection$
                  ^!Set %baseLen%=^$StrSize(^%baseWord%)$
                  ; checks for 4 character words and handles accordingly.
                  ^!If ^%baseLen% = 4 NEXT ELSE SCRAMBLE
                  ^!If ^$StrCopy("^%baseWord%";2;1)$ <> ^$StrCopy("^%baseWord%";3;1)$ SCRAMBLE
                  ;
                  :REWORD
                  ; if scrambling is passed sets newWord = baseWord
                  ^!Set %newWord%=^%baseWord%
                  ^!Goto PASS
                  ;
                  :SCRAMBLE
                  ^!Set %firstChar%=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$
                  ^!Set %lastChar%=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;^%baseLen%)$
                  ^!Set %newLen%=^$Calc(^%baseLen%-2)$
                  ^!Set %baseWord%=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;^%newLen%)$
                  ^!Set %randSort%=^%empty%
                  ;
                  :BUILD_LOOP
                  ^!if ^%baseWord%=^%empty% END_BUILD_LOOP
                  ^!Set %randSort%=^%randSort%< ^$StrRandom(9;01)$>^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$^%nl%
                  ^!Set %baseWord%=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;100)$
                  ^!Goto BUILD_LOOP
                  ;
                  :END_BUILD_LOOP
                  ^!Set %sortedBlock%=^$StrSort(^%randSort%;0;1;0)$
                  ^!Set %randWord%=^$StrStripHTML(^%sortedBlock%;0)$
                  ^!Set %newWord%=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace(" ";^%empty%;^%randWord%;1;0)$^%lastChar%
                  ;
                  ; if newWord = baseWord, jumps
                  ^!IfSame "^%newWord%" "^%baseDup%" BASEDUP
                  ;
                  :PASS
                  ^%newWord%
                  ^!Jump SELECT_END
                  ^!Goto LOOP
                  ;
                  :END_LOOP
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate 1
                  ^!SetCursor ^%rowCol%

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 28, 2008
                    loro wrote:
                    > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
                    > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>

                    Thanks Lotta. I had only seen that in German until now. Nice to know I
                    can do it nearly as easily in English as in my mother tongue.

                    Axel
                  • fw7oaks
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 28, 2008
                      --- On Tue, 10/28/08, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                      > I had only seen that in German until now.

                      Hi Axel,

                      Could you point me in the direction of a German version.

                      Danke !

                      fw
                    • Gerard Huijing
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                        loro wrote:

                        > Not related to Notetab at all. Just think it's fun - and interesting.
                        >
                        > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg
                        > <http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/images/monkey/reading_test.jpg>>
                        >
                        > Lotta

                        Nice one, Lotta.
                        I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
                        English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

                        That *does* look very weird too ...

                        Cheers, Gerard

                        --
                        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                        2312 ZD Leiden
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                          Gerard Huijing wrote:
                          >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
                          >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)

                          That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
                          friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
                          the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
                          obvious reasons.

                          My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
                          Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
                          adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.

                          So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
                          couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
                          murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
                          the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
                          outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
                          seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
                          responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
                          dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
                          and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                          to talk English. Oops!

                          Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
                          Lotta
                        • Gerard Huijing
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
                            loro wrote:

                            > Gerard Huijing wrote:
                            > >I wonder what would happen if you first told people that this was the
                            > >English as it was spoken in, say, the time of King Alfred. :-)
                            >
                            > That reminds me of something strange that happened to both me and a
                            > friend of mine. Here in Sweden foreign movies normally get subtitles,
                            > the exception being films for young children that are dubbed for
                            > obvious reasons.
                            >
                            > My friend and I both liked Michael Ende's "Die Unendliche
                            > Geschichte", a fantasy novel of sorts. When the American screen
                            > adaption The Neverending Story, came, we went to see it.
                            >
                            > So there we were, two adults and 200 kids. The movie began and we
                            > couldn't hear a word they were saying, sounded like a drunken
                            > murmur. Realized there were no subtitles either. Both the sound and
                            > the subs were botched up and we really wanted to enjoy the movie -
                            > outrageous! After 10 minutes or se we started to get upset. The kids
                            > seemed to enjoy it anyway, but we didn't. We were about to hunt a
                            > responsible person down and demand things would be fixed when it
                            > dawned on us. Yeah, you guessed it. The movie was dubbed to Swedish
                            > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                            > to talk English. Oops!
                            >
                            > Still don't think it's a children's book. Grmpff.
                            > Lotta

                            I can sympathize. I once stood beside a young woman at a party, who
                            speaks completely fluent Dutch without any foreign accent whatsoever (I
                            think she was raised in Holland but I do not know if she was born
                            there), and she was having a conversation with some older people. It
                            sounded so weird that I thought she was was paralytically drunk, until I
                            realized that she was speaking Armenian to her parents!

                            But to return to the spelling stuff. I found it very strange to read
                            that the Cambridge study revealed that no less than 55% did *not*
                            understand it.
                            I myself spotted what was wrong without detecting and describing the
                            algorithm, so to speak.
                            I bet others (programmers? mathematicians?) work exactly the other way
                            round.
                            How on earth does this all work in the brain?
                            I bet my boots Wittgenstein has something about that, somewhere.

                            Cheers,
                            Gerard

                            --
                            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                            2312 ZD Leiden
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                              loro wrote:
                              > and we didn't hear a words they were saying because we expected them
                              > to talk English.

                              That's one I know well, You have no clue while your mind tries to parse
                              the wrong language. I once heard physics lectures by a Chinese professor
                              with, for one reason or another, a Dutch accent. Whenever a word eluded
                              him he seamlessly switched from German with a Dutch accent into English
                              with a Dutch accent. It was absolutely perfect English and quite easy to
                              understand, but until I caught on it was pure gobbledegook to me.
                              Happened every time and hardly got better during the semester.