Re: [NTO] Need Efficient File Catalog

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
      Hello Hugo,

      <<I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in>>

      Thanks for that. The Add-in processed my astronomy folder in about two
      seconds. It took three seconds to create indented spreadsheet of a second
      folder containing 4000 sub-folders and files holding 5gigs of data. This is
      really slick and will do the job nicely. Many thanks to you and all who
      responded.

      Ray Shapp
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
        There is a great program called DirPrint which will gather the data in a
        text file

        http://www.galcott.com/

        Or to actually catalog files with all info etc, Where Is It is a FANTASTIC
        program, it will even pull DVD and CD info from the internet, I've been a
        registered user for Y E A R S ..

        http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

        And there is also Insight, if you wish to create a collapsible outline like
        the outline format in NoteTab... this is a FANTASTIC OTL file application,
        but the end result is a *.cat file.. You can use Fine and replace on the
        resulting Dir Print text file (if you wanted to run the shareware version)
        and then create the Outline in Insight.

        www.dataomega.com/insight

        That's a few suggestions...

        Hope this helps... there's also a freebie cataloger EZ-Cat and another
        one that I can't think of right now that I use at work because its free but
        its not near as awesome as Where is it for cataloging disks, its PRIMO!!

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008

          http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

          > ftp.netmanage.com
          > navigate to
          > support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe
          >
          > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
          > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
          > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
          > http://eccomagic.com/
          >
          > Lotta

          Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
          up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
          group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
          didn't know about either.

          FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
          and out of it forever without any add-ins.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
            Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-23 at
            18:04):
            > > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
            > > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
            > > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
            > > http://eccomagic.com/
            > >
            > > Lotta
            > >

            > Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
            > up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
            > group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
            > didn't know about either.
            >
            > FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
            > and out of it forever without any add-ins.

            The new group features an enhancement to Ecco called eccoext
            (EccoExtension) that add some nice functionality to the Ecco -
            scriptable LUA, regular expressions, powerful filters, fix for Y2K bug.
            see here: http://eccoextdoc.wikispaces.com/

            EccoMagic is a set of enhancement programs that can be run with Ecco and
            also a discussion forum associated with the ecco_pro yahoo group. see
            here: http://www.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

            If interested in Ecco also worth checking out SQLNotes (recently renamed
            to InfoQube)
            start here: www.*sqlnotes*.net/ *
            *Its in free beta right now but definitely usable in its current state.