Re: [NTO] Need Efficient File Catalog

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
      Ray,

      If you are willing to spend some money, you might look at an older
      version of InfoSelect. The current version is expensive, but the older versions
      will do a lot of what you want and don't cost too much.  You can see the
      prices for older versions here:

      http://www.miclog.com/ordering/old_products.shtml

      Another place to look is at Jot Plus Notes from King Stairs Software. I don't
      have URL but a search will find it. It is like InfoSelect but not quite as good.
      It is less expensive, too.

      Bruce Meyers

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
        Sheri wrote:
        >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
        >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
        >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
        >server doesn't seem to be working any more.

        I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
        their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.
        http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

        ftp.netmanage.com
        navigate to
        support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe

        Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
        EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
        builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
        http://eccomagic.com/

        Lotta
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
          Hello Hugo,

          <<I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in>>

          Thanks for that. The Add-in processed my astronomy folder in about two
          seconds. It took three seconds to create indented spreadsheet of a second
          folder containing 4000 sub-folders and files holding 5gigs of data. This is
          really slick and will do the job nicely. Many thanks to you and all who
          responded.

          Ray Shapp
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
            There is a great program called DirPrint which will gather the data in a
            text file

            http://www.galcott.com/

            Or to actually catalog files with all info etc, Where Is It is a FANTASTIC
            program, it will even pull DVD and CD info from the internet, I've been a
            registered user for Y E A R S ..

            http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

            And there is also Insight, if you wish to create a collapsible outline like
            the outline format in NoteTab... this is a FANTASTIC OTL file application,
            but the end result is a *.cat file.. You can use Fine and replace on the
            resulting Dir Print text file (if you wanted to run the shareware version)
            and then create the Outline in Insight.

            www.dataomega.com/insight

            That's a few suggestions...

            Hope this helps... there's also a freebie cataloger EZ-Cat and another
            one that I can't think of right now that I use at work because its free but
            its not near as awesome as Where is it for cataloging disks, its PRIMO!!

            Laurie

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

              > Sheri wrote:
              > >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
              > >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
              > >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
              > >server doesn't seem to be working any more.
              >
              > I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
              > their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.

              http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

              > ftp.netmanage.com
              > navigate to
              > support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe
              >
              > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
              > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
              > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
              > http://eccomagic.com/
              >
              > Lotta

              Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
              up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
              group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
              didn't know about either.

              FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
              and out of it forever without any add-ins.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-23 at
                18:04):
                > > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                > > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                > > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                > > http://eccomagic.com/
                > >
                > > Lotta
                > >

                > Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                > up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                > group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                > didn't know about either.
                >
                > FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                > and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                The new group features an enhancement to Ecco called eccoext
                (EccoExtension) that add some nice functionality to the Ecco -
                scriptable LUA, regular expressions, powerful filters, fix for Y2K bug.
                see here: http://eccoextdoc.wikispaces.com/

                EccoMagic is a set of enhancement programs that can be run with Ecco and
                also a discussion forum associated with the ecco_pro yahoo group. see
                here: http://www.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

                If interested in Ecco also worth checking out SQLNotes (recently renamed
                to InfoQube)
                start here: www.*sqlnotes*.net/ *
                *Its in free beta right now but definitely usable in its current state.