Re: Need Efficient File Catalog

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

      > Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows
      > Explorer in an application that doesn't use the Windows File
      > Allocation Table. If the Outline structure in NoteTab had say 8
      > or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a good tool for this
      > job.

      If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
      been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
      the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
      server doesn't seem to be working any more.

      You will probably need to join the Yahoo Ecco group to get this
      download. Ecco's last version was 4.01.

      Sheri
    • Bruce Meyers
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
        Ray,

        If you are willing to spend some money, you might look at an older
        version of InfoSelect. The current version is expensive, but the older versions
        will do a lot of what you want and don't cost too much.  You can see the
        prices for older versions here:

        http://www.miclog.com/ordering/old_products.shtml

        Another place to look is at Jot Plus Notes from King Stairs Software. I don't
        have URL but a search will find it. It is like InfoSelect but not quite as good.
        It is less expensive, too.

        Bruce Meyers

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
          Sheri wrote:
          >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
          >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
          >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
          >server doesn't seem to be working any more.

          I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
          their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.
          http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

          ftp.netmanage.com
          navigate to
          support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe

          Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
          EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
          builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
          http://eccomagic.com/

          Lotta
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
            Hello Hugo,

            <<I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in>>

            Thanks for that. The Add-in processed my astronomy folder in about two
            seconds. It took three seconds to create indented spreadsheet of a second
            folder containing 4000 sub-folders and files holding 5gigs of data. This is
            really slick and will do the job nicely. Many thanks to you and all who
            responded.

            Ray Shapp
          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
              There is a great program called DirPrint which will gather the data in a
              text file

              http://www.galcott.com/

              Or to actually catalog files with all info etc, Where Is It is a FANTASTIC
              program, it will even pull DVD and CD info from the internet, I've been a
              registered user for Y E A R S ..

              http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

              And there is also Insight, if you wish to create a collapsible outline like
              the outline format in NoteTab... this is a FANTASTIC OTL file application,
              but the end result is a *.cat file.. You can use Fine and replace on the
              resulting Dir Print text file (if you wanted to run the shareware version)
              and then create the Outline in Insight.

              www.dataomega.com/insight

              That's a few suggestions...

              Hope this helps... there's also a freebie cataloger EZ-Cat and another
              one that I can't think of right now that I use at work because its free but
              its not near as awesome as Where is it for cataloging disks, its PRIMO!!

              Laurie

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > Sheri wrote:
                > >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                > >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                > >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                > >server doesn't seem to be working any more.
                >
                > I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
                > their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.

                http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

                > ftp.netmanage.com
                > navigate to
                > support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe
                >
                > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                > http://eccomagic.com/
                >
                > Lotta

                Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                didn't know about either.

                FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                  Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-23 at
                  18:04):
                  > > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                  > > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                  > > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                  > > http://eccomagic.com/
                  > >
                  > > Lotta
                  > >

                  > Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                  > up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                  > group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                  > didn't know about either.
                  >
                  > FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                  > and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                  The new group features an enhancement to Ecco called eccoext
                  (EccoExtension) that add some nice functionality to the Ecco -
                  scriptable LUA, regular expressions, powerful filters, fix for Y2K bug.
                  see here: http://eccoextdoc.wikispaces.com/

                  EccoMagic is a set of enhancement programs that can be run with Ecco and
                  also a discussion forum associated with the ecco_pro yahoo group. see
                  here: http://www.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

                  If interested in Ecco also worth checking out SQLNotes (recently renamed
                  to InfoQube)
                  start here: www.*sqlnotes*.net/ *
                  *Its in free beta right now but definitely usable in its current state.