Re: [NTO] Need Efficient File Catalog

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
      Hi Lotta,

      Thanks for the reply.

      <<What abut this?
      http://arachnoid.com/dbedit/

      dbEdit looks promising. It's definitely fast. I'm not using Vista, so that's
      not an issue (yet). Directory print from Karen's Power tools or the DIR
      command in DOS will get all 8,000 entries (records) into dbEdit. I'm still
      looking to see how to preserve hierarchy. Maybe append file names to the fully
      qualified folder and sub-folder names. That will create some very long lines
      for each record. To search on several terms, it is necessary to conduct
      separate searches, and combine the results. The other problem is the ease with
      which dbEdit will permanently modify the contents of the DB I'm working on.
      Until I firmly ingrain the habit of saving, I am sure I will destroy the bulk
      of my DB just by doing a sort or a search.

      dbEdit is worth having as a quick substitute for Excel when all that's needed
      is a reordering or deletion or addition of columns in tabular data.

      I'm still looking for a catalog that can handle hierarchical data in a
      graphical tree-like form as Windows Explorer does.

      Ray Shapp
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
        I'm still looking for a catalog that can handle hierarchical data in a
        graphical tree-like form as Windows Explorer does.

        Ray Shapp

        .

        Hi Ray,

        I may be amiss, but I'd have a look at alternative Explorer-applications - there are some free apps that will do what you want. XYplorer has nice search routines (regex, boolean, fuzzy, timerestricted), is fast, copies relevant info to files/clipboard, etc. You'll have to google for a free version of a couple of years ago. There are other Explorer-replacements as well.

        http://www.xyplorer.com/%c2%a0

        I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in that does a nice job of generating a directorylist in Excel - you can have an indented (cells are tabs) list with all relevant details with a couple of mouseclicks. As far as I understood.

        http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FolderTree.aspx

        Regards,

        Hugo

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

          > Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows
          > Explorer in an application that doesn't use the Windows File
          > Allocation Table. If the Outline structure in NoteTab had say 8
          > or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a good tool for this
          > job.

          If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
          been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
          the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
          server doesn't seem to be working any more.

          You will probably need to join the Yahoo Ecco group to get this
          download. Ecco's last version was 4.01.

          Sheri
        • Bruce Meyers
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
            Ray,

            If you are willing to spend some money, you might look at an older
            version of InfoSelect. The current version is expensive, but the older versions
            will do a lot of what you want and don't cost too much.  You can see the
            prices for older versions here:

            http://www.miclog.com/ordering/old_products.shtml

            Another place to look is at Jot Plus Notes from King Stairs Software. I don't
            have URL but a search will find it. It is like InfoSelect but not quite as good.
            It is less expensive, too.

            Bruce Meyers

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
              Sheri wrote:
              >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
              >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
              >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
              >server doesn't seem to be working any more.

              I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
              their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.
              http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

              ftp.netmanage.com
              navigate to
              support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe

              Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
              EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
              builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
              http://eccomagic.com/

              Lotta
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                Hello Hugo,

                <<I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in>>

                Thanks for that. The Add-in processed my astronomy folder in about two
                seconds. It took three seconds to create indented spreadsheet of a second
                folder containing 4000 sub-folders and files holding 5gigs of data. This is
                really slick and will do the job nicely. Many thanks to you and all who
                responded.

                Ray Shapp
              • LaurieK
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                  There is a great program called DirPrint which will gather the data in a
                  text file

                  http://www.galcott.com/

                  Or to actually catalog files with all info etc, Where Is It is a FANTASTIC
                  program, it will even pull DVD and CD info from the internet, I've been a
                  registered user for Y E A R S ..

                  http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

                  And there is also Insight, if you wish to create a collapsible outline like
                  the outline format in NoteTab... this is a FANTASTIC OTL file application,
                  but the end result is a *.cat file.. You can use Fine and replace on the
                  resulting Dir Print text file (if you wanted to run the shareware version)
                  and then create the Outline in Insight.

                  www.dataomega.com/insight

                  That's a few suggestions...

                  Hope this helps... there's also a freebie cataloger EZ-Cat and another
                  one that I can't think of right now that I use at work because its free but
                  its not near as awesome as Where is it for cataloging disks, its PRIMO!!

                  Laurie

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                    > Sheri wrote:
                    > >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                    > >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                    > >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                    > >server doesn't seem to be working any more.
                    >
                    > I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
                    > their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.

                    http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

                    > ftp.netmanage.com
                    > navigate to
                    > support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe
                    >
                    > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                    > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                    > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                    > http://eccomagic.com/
                    >
                    > Lotta

                    Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                    up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                    group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                    didn't know about either.

                    FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                    and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                      Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-23 at
                      18:04):
                      > > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                      > > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                      > > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                      > > http://eccomagic.com/
                      > >
                      > > Lotta
                      > >

                      > Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                      > up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                      > group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                      > didn't know about either.
                      >
                      > FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                      > and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                      The new group features an enhancement to Ecco called eccoext
                      (EccoExtension) that add some nice functionality to the Ecco -
                      scriptable LUA, regular expressions, powerful filters, fix for Y2K bug.
                      see here: http://eccoextdoc.wikispaces.com/

                      EccoMagic is a set of enhancement programs that can be run with Ecco and
                      also a discussion forum associated with the ecco_pro yahoo group. see
                      here: http://www.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

                      If interested in Ecco also worth checking out SQLNotes (recently renamed
                      to InfoQube)
                      start here: www.*sqlnotes*.net/ *
                      *Its in free beta right now but definitely usable in its current state.