Re: [NTO] Need Efficient File Catalog

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
      Don wrote:
      >what a hoot:
      >http://arachnoid.com/freeware/index.html
      >
      >I love it.

      Me too. I just wish Lutus had developed dbEdit a little instead of
      writing those other programs I'm not interested in... Just a few more
      features and it would be perfect. There is no was to refresh for
      instance. If you have a file open in dbEdit and edit it in Notetab,
      you have to close it and reopen to see the changes.

      >You can run non-vista stuff in vista by saying run as another windows
      >type I believe.

      Oh. Thanks.

      Lotta
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
        Hi Lotta,

        Thanks for the reply.

        <<What abut this?
        http://arachnoid.com/dbedit/

        dbEdit looks promising. It's definitely fast. I'm not using Vista, so that's
        not an issue (yet). Directory print from Karen's Power tools or the DIR
        command in DOS will get all 8,000 entries (records) into dbEdit. I'm still
        looking to see how to preserve hierarchy. Maybe append file names to the fully
        qualified folder and sub-folder names. That will create some very long lines
        for each record. To search on several terms, it is necessary to conduct
        separate searches, and combine the results. The other problem is the ease with
        which dbEdit will permanently modify the contents of the DB I'm working on.
        Until I firmly ingrain the habit of saving, I am sure I will destroy the bulk
        of my DB just by doing a sort or a search.

        dbEdit is worth having as a quick substitute for Excel when all that's needed
        is a reordering or deletion or addition of columns in tabular data.

        I'm still looking for a catalog that can handle hierarchical data in a
        graphical tree-like form as Windows Explorer does.

        Ray Shapp
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
          I'm still looking for a catalog that can handle hierarchical data in a
          graphical tree-like form as Windows Explorer does.

          Ray Shapp

          .

          Hi Ray,

          I may be amiss, but I'd have a look at alternative Explorer-applications - there are some free apps that will do what you want. XYplorer has nice search routines (regex, boolean, fuzzy, timerestricted), is fast, copies relevant info to files/clipboard, etc. You'll have to google for a free version of a couple of years ago. There are other Explorer-replacements as well.

          http://www.xyplorer.com/%c2%a0

          I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in that does a nice job of generating a directorylist in Excel - you can have an indented (cells are tabs) list with all relevant details with a couple of mouseclicks. As far as I understood.

          http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FolderTree.aspx

          Regards,

          Hugo

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

            > Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows
            > Explorer in an application that doesn't use the Windows File
            > Allocation Table. If the Outline structure in NoteTab had say 8
            > or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a good tool for this
            > job.

            If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
            been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
            the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
            server doesn't seem to be working any more.

            You will probably need to join the Yahoo Ecco group to get this
            download. Ecco's last version was 4.01.

            Sheri
          • Bruce Meyers
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
              Ray,

              If you are willing to spend some money, you might look at an older
              version of InfoSelect. The current version is expensive, but the older versions
              will do a lot of what you want and don't cost too much.  You can see the
              prices for older versions here:

              http://www.miclog.com/ordering/old_products.shtml

              Another place to look is at Jot Plus Notes from King Stairs Software. I don't
              have URL but a search will find it. It is like InfoSelect but not quite as good.
              It is less expensive, too.

              Bruce Meyers

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                Sheri wrote:
                >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                >server doesn't seem to be working any more.

                I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
                their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.
                http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

                ftp.netmanage.com
                navigate to
                support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe

                Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                http://eccomagic.com/

                Lotta
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                  Hello Hugo,

                  <<I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in>>

                  Thanks for that. The Add-in processed my astronomy folder in about two
                  seconds. It took three seconds to create indented spreadsheet of a second
                  folder containing 4000 sub-folders and files holding 5gigs of data. This is
                  really slick and will do the job nicely. Many thanks to you and all who
                  responded.

                  Ray Shapp
                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                    There is a great program called DirPrint which will gather the data in a
                    text file

                    http://www.galcott.com/

                    Or to actually catalog files with all info etc, Where Is It is a FANTASTIC
                    program, it will even pull DVD and CD info from the internet, I've been a
                    registered user for Y E A R S ..

                    http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

                    And there is also Insight, if you wish to create a collapsible outline like
                    the outline format in NoteTab... this is a FANTASTIC OTL file application,
                    but the end result is a *.cat file.. You can use Fine and replace on the
                    resulting Dir Print text file (if you wanted to run the shareware version)
                    and then create the Outline in Insight.

                    www.dataomega.com/insight

                    That's a few suggestions...

                    Hope this helps... there's also a freebie cataloger EZ-Cat and another
                    one that I can't think of right now that I use at work because its free but
                    its not near as awesome as Where is it for cataloging disks, its PRIMO!!

                    Laurie

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                      > Sheri wrote:
                      > >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                      > >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                      > >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                      > >server doesn't seem to be working any more.
                      >
                      > I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
                      > their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.

                      http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

                      > ftp.netmanage.com
                      > navigate to
                      > support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe
                      >
                      > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                      > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                      > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                      > http://eccomagic.com/
                      >
                      > Lotta

                      Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                      up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                      group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                      didn't know about either.

                      FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                      and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                      Regards,
                      Sheri
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                        Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-23 at
                        18:04):
                        > > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                        > > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                        > > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                        > > http://eccomagic.com/
                        > >
                        > > Lotta
                        > >

                        > Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                        > up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                        > group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                        > didn't know about either.
                        >
                        > FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                        > and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                        The new group features an enhancement to Ecco called eccoext
                        (EccoExtension) that add some nice functionality to the Ecco -
                        scriptable LUA, regular expressions, powerful filters, fix for Y2K bug.
                        see here: http://eccoextdoc.wikispaces.com/

                        EccoMagic is a set of enhancement programs that can be run with Ecco and
                        also a discussion forum associated with the ecco_pro yahoo group. see
                        here: http://www.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

                        If interested in Ecco also worth checking out SQLNotes (recently renamed
                        to InfoQube)
                        start here: www.*sqlnotes*.net/ *
                        *Its in free beta right now but definitely usable in its current state.